• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thyroid

digital dog

Hello,

Is there anyone here who cannot take thyroid medication but have hashimotos, graves, or hypothyroidism?

What did you do about it? Is there hope for someone with high antibodies who cannot tolerate the drugs/supplements prescribed?

How did you heal your thyroid without them?

Anyone?

ahmo

GracieJ

Dr. Brownstein's work.

The formula for Armour was changed back a few years ago, right about the time Westhroid became unavailable, for political/financial reasons. I did poorly on Armour, no idea why. Westhroid came back from patient pressure on the company, but it was not the same. I was not myself at all on any thyroid medication from then on. For five years now, I have followed a protocol close to what Dr. Brownstein recommends, and it has worked well for me.

Both hypothyroid and Hashimoto's, and doing fine.

digital dog

Thats really good to hear as my doctor is adamant I will get worse without thyroid meds. I told him that I will have to get worse as I really can't tolerate them.
I will look at Dr Brownsteins work.

Ema

What intolerance symptoms do you have?

Is it possible that they are due to low cortisol? Or low iron levels?

JamBob

Which drugs have you tried?

I have autoimmune thyroid disease and initially did badly on thyroxin. I was started on Armour but I raised it really, really slowly at 7.5 a time. It took years to get to the level I'm at now (120 a day) but I found it okay.

I don't think any hormone really replaces what we miss but I have less symptoms on Armour and less side effects.

I have adrenal insufficiency too - which can play a part in tolerating thyroid meds.

digital dog

Thank you Jambob. I do have adrenal problems but every thing I have tried to right this makes me worse.
Ho-hum.