• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thoughts on subgroups of CFS ?

ash0787

Wondering what the community consensus is on this, in light of the current scientific evidence

I've seen examples of a few people that have managed to cure or mitigate their CFS symptoms with certain discoveries and interventions for example one found it was due to a thyroid issue, another found that taking nitrous oxide helped, then there was a guy from china just this week that found he had a documented type of neurological autoimmunity, others have success with antivirals etc

Thoughts on how this relates to the development of seemingly accurate diagnostic tests ?
maybe the underlying cell behavior is the same despite different underlying causal factors,
or perhaps these people would be the outliers, such as the % of non responders to rituximab ?

Or do we think there is a 'core' of CFS which is as yet untreatable, and the people that have been cured don't have this 'core' CFS, would it be fair to say that is the 'real' disease and the others are just similar looking ?
That doesn't seem particularly fair to me though because it seems to downplay their experiences and its also reminiscent of a ' no true scotsman' fallacy.

lansbergen

Or do we think there is a 'core' of CFS which is as yet untreatable, and the people that have been cured don't have this 'core' CFS,

In my opion you can not say they do not have the core. For instance it can be lower infection dosis and/or frequentie or a less fiercely response to the agent.