Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Thoughts About M.E.--FACA Request: Did HHS Orchestrate CFSAC’s P2P Comments?

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Jeannette Burmeister, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Jeannette Burmeister

Jeannette Burmeister

Please see my blog post at the link below for my letter to Barbara James and some comments from me.

http://thoughtsaboutme.com/2015/01/18/faca-request-did-hhs-orchestrate-cfsacs-p2p-comments/

leela, catly, mango and 11 others like this.
  2. Liz Willow

Liz Willow

A huge thanks for holding the Feds' feet to the fire regarding these clear legal violations, Jeannette!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    beaker, catly, Delia and 3 others like this.
  3. Jeannette Burmeister

Jeannette Burmeister

Thanks, Liz!

I have no received a reply yet, which boggles the mind given the clear pattern and seriousness of FACA violations with respect to CFSAC. Looks like they are asking for this to be escalated.

Liz Willow, beaker, catly and 2 others like this.
  4. Roy S

Roy S former DC ME/CFS lobbyist

Illinois, USA
    Uncle Sam says FACA you?
    Again? :)

catly, leela and Liz Willow like this.
  5. Ember

Ember Senior Member

6. Wally

Wally Senior Member

catly likes this.
  7. Jeannette Burmeister

Jeannette Burmeister

@Roy S Uncle Sam is trying, as always. They are certainly busy right now trying to figure out how to make this go away.

@Wally, I think it's best not to discuss legal strategy or arguments in public (or at all for that matter). Part of our ("our" as in advocates) being effective requires keeping the gov guessing as to how hard we will come down on them and how expensive it will be, financially and in terms of bad PR.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    Liz Willow, Valentijn, beaker and 2 others like this.
  8. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Here's how Dr. Levine concluded the January 13 CFSAC meeting:
    Given that the final document hasn't been posted, is there any reason to believe that it was approved by the Secretary for submission?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  9. Jeannette Burmeister

Jeannette Burmeister

@Ember:

I had the same question. But don't forget, it was a holiday weekend and nothing happens in DC on holidays. Nothing work-related that is. But it is noteworthy that despite their clear FACA violation and the fact that the community is up in arms about it, the still do not provide any transparency whatsoever. None.

My guess is that the Secretary's approval is held up in he legal department. It would be quite embarrassing for her to approve and submit comments that were the result of a CFSAC meeting that didn't qualify as public b/c of the FACA violation.

As an aside, I liked the transcript's opinion of the CFSAC website: "unintelligible" ;)

Valentijn, beaker and Roy S like this.
  10. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    catly likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.