• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

This article sums up concerns about Glyphosate

alex3619

To recap, glyphosate = roundup. Its completely absorbed into the plant, so cannot be washed off. Its used on genetically engineered crops that are enhanced to be resistant to it, and sometimes in high amounts. The concern is that it may be even more of a risk for Alzheimers than DDT.

There is also an hypothesis it might cause autism.

Last edited:

Vegas

I think the interference of glyphosate in bacterial metabolism is perhaps the most consequential adverse effect of using this agent. Glyphosate is a glycine analogue with potential to disturb the folate cycle. Its effects on intestinal commensals has been proven, The bacterial organisms need these nutrients as well.

As an aside, I have seen a patient who had the misfortune of being "oversprayed" with glyphosate; The crop sprayer was not told this gentleman was going to be in the area when they started spraying from the air, While this was not an incidental exposure, the toxicity quickly became evident. He subsequently developed debilitating symptoms, fatigue, chemical sensitivities, and liver failure. As I recall, he was too sick to get a liver transplant.

Curr Microbiol. 2013 Apr;66(4):350-8. doi: 10.1007/s00284-012-0277-2. Epub 2012 Dec 9.
The effect of glyphosate on potential pathogens and beneficial members of poultry microbiota in vitro.
Shehata AA, Schrödl W, Aldin AA, Hafez HM, Krüger M.
Author information
Abstract

The use of glyphosate modifies the environment which stresses the living microorganisms. The aim of the present study was to determine the real impact of glyphosate on potential pathogens and beneficial members of poultry microbiota in vitro. The presented results evidence that the highly pathogenic bacteria as Salmonella Entritidis, Salmonella Gallinarum, Salmonella Typhimurium, Clostridium perfringens and Clostridium botulinum are highly resistant to glyphosate. However, most of beneficial bacteria as Enterococcus faecalis, Enterococcus faecium, Bacillus badius, Bifidobacterium adolescentis and Lactobacillus spp. were found to be moderate to highly susceptible. Also Campylobacter spp. were found to be susceptible to glyphosate. A reduction of beneficial bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract microbiota by ingestion of glyphosate could disturb the normal gut bacterial community. Also, the toxicity of glyphosate to the most prevalent Enterococcus spp. could be a significant predisposing factor that is associated with the increase in C. botulinum-mediated diseases by suppressing the antagonistic effect of these bacteria on clostridia

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Interesting, according to a hair test I took some time ago, I'm deficient in both Manganese and Iron (amongst other minerals).

I've been experimenting with supplementing with both, over the last few weeks, with modest success. I feel better when taking Manganese and it seems to be fixing some of my Circadian Rhythm issues and problems with Carbohydrates.

Thanks to this thread, I did some searching and came across this...

Huber’s Bombshell
Dr Huber is a microbiologist who decided to look a little deeper at how glyphosate affects soil-life. He was the first researcher to discover that this popular herbicide has a major impact upon two specific groups of organisms. He found that glyphosate kills the sub groups within the soil responsible for the delivery of iron and manganese into the plant. In fact, in one study he found that if a mere 2.5% of the spray solution made direct contact with the soil, it served to reduce manganese uptake by 80% and iron uptake by 60%. The loss of manganese-reducing organisms obviously lowers the levels of manganese in our food and may have health implications for humans (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and livestock (reproductive issues). Iron is already the most serious mineral deficiency in the developing world. Dr Huber also found that glyphosate could tie up other soil minerals including copper, magnesium, and zinc. He found that the herbicide could lock up nickel in the soil. Nickel is required to activate the urease enzyme that allows utilisation of urea. Dr Huber’s research revealed that residues of this “safe” herbicide could remain inactive in the soil indefinitely and that the addition of soluble phosphate can reactivate the inert form. He also found that these residues could bond with gypsum in the soil.

Definitely something to think about.

Last edited: