• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

There’s a yawning gap in ME/CFS research funding. Take action.

Simon

One for ME Awareness week

There’s a yawning gap in ME/CFS research funding. Take action.

When I got ME more than 20 years ago, I thought that science would soon provide the answers to my illness. Instead, I saw little good research going on, and there’s been a spectacular lack of progress since then. We have no treatments and still don’t even know what causes the disease. Why not?

The fundamental reason for the lack of good science is that there is not enough funding: money is the sun that powers the research world. And inadequate funding is mostly down to neglect by government research-funders. That has to change, and patients can help make it happen.

sickness-to-health.jpg

Photos: ME Association & (c) Can Stock Photo / bugphai[/caption]

An outsider might think that an illness that strikes in the prime of life, affecting so many people so severely, would be a priority for governments. Surely the multi-billion pound cost to the economy would focus minds? Not if your illness is ME/CFS, which many people in power don't take seriously. In the US, research receives a feeble $8 a patient a year. In the UK, it’s £4 a year, which is mostly spent on psychosocial research.

Not enough action from the National Institutes of Health

nih-funding-gap.jpg

Read the full blog

Simon

@Simon - is there a specific action you're recommending? Or to just take part in some of the Millions Missing activities?
Take action
Even from your bed

Solve ME/CFS Advocacy day 15 May

#MillionsMissing protests 12 May

Find a protest in a city near you.

Donate
USA
Open Medicine Foundation. Solve ME/CFS initiative

UK
Action for ME. Invest in ME research. ME Association. ME research UK
Things won’t change unless we act
Funding for ME/CFS remains abjectly low. Despite some recent modest improvements, there’s no sign of this changing anytime soon. If we want the serious funds for research that are needed to find effective treatments for our illness, then we and our organisations need to act now.

We need to pressure governments to contribute, and we need those patients and supporters who can to donate. It’s down to us.

Gemini

Funding for ME/CFS remains abjectly low... If we want the serious funds for research that are needed to find effective treatments for our illness, then we and our organisations need to act now.

Great chart @Simon! :thumbsup:

Good timing--NIH just received a $3 billion raise [30 March 2018, Science]!

Any way to e-mail your chart to NIH and Congress? Anyone have e-mail addresses?