• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Stanford Paradox: Elevated Energy Production Found in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Sarah Myhill identified 2 distinct groups - this related to how energy was produced- one group was problems with pyruvate ( glycolysis) . It was in her last joint paper.
do you have a link to this paper?

JaimeS

The part of the study that found increased cristae in the mitochondria

We've looked SO MANY TIMES at the mitochondria. The only other person who found different-shaped mito was a study in the 1990s that was not found to be replicable. I'd have to see how the imaging was done and compare to other studies. It seems weird that this has been looked into a half-dozen times but only twice were abnormalities found.

"Cancer patients have increased glycolysis rates and disruption of their mitochondrial metabolism – it is called Warburg theory. It believes that mitochondria do not function well to produce enough ATP in patients’ cells and as a compensation to meet the high ATP demand glycolysis is upregulated," Wang said.

...But Armstrong, Naviaux, and Fluge and Mella found DOWNregulated glycolysis. I was beginning to think to myself that it was a reverse Warburg, which some now postulate is responsible for (certain kinds of?) cancers.

Don't mean to be hard on this paper in particular! :hug:

JaimeS

Barry53

From an engineer's perspective, if a system has too little useful energy available, two broad possibilities come to mind:-
  1. Too little energy available in the first place. Fuel shortage/blockage/leak.
  2. Energy available, but being consumed by something that is not supposed to be consuming it, leaving insufficient for legitimate use. (In a car it might be brakes sticking, low tyre pressures, etc).
In case '2', if some self-regulation mechanism is in play, then the available fuel flow might be much higher than expected, because the closed loop control would be trying to compensate for the high overall energy consumption. e.g. Cruise control; engine delivering much more power than expected, but still too little of it doing useful work.