• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The role of high expectations of self and social desirability in emotional processing in IBS

trishrhymes

Chalder seems to be a one woman CBT machine. Never mind the quality...

I have never been able to work out whether she's too thick to see that her so called research is crap (speaking scientifically), and that she's being used by her mentor Wessely as a front for his poisonous theories, or whether she actually knows full well that what she's doing is unscientific and harmful, but doesn't care because she's got a great career out of it. A nurse playing in the same playground as the big boys (psychiatrists).

chipmunk1

Does anyone understand the BPS model of diabetic foot ulcers?

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0005796712000447

Development and preliminary evaluation of a psychosocial intervention for modifying psychosocial risk factors associated with foot re-ulceration in diabetes

Abstract
Diabetic foot ulcers are a common, chronic and costly complication of Diabetes, with the greatest risk for ulceration being previous ulceration. Previous approaches to reducing re-ulceration risk have not, however, considered the psychosocial factors which may influence this risk. We reviewed the existing evidence in this area and developed a therapeutic model which informed the content, structure and format of a psychosocial intervention designed to modify the psychosocial risk factors associated with re-ulceration.

----

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/30/6/1473.long

The rate of recurrence of foot ulcers is estimated at 34, 61, and 70% in 1, 3, and 5 years, respectively (1). Around 15% develop osteomyelitis, and there is a twofold increase in mortality compared with people with diabetes without a foot ulcer (3,10,11). Could psychological factors such as depressive disorders help to explain the high rates of mortality and morbidity?

Last edited:

Valentijn

I have never been able to work out whether she's too thick to see that her so called research is crap (speaking scientifically), and that she's being used by her mentor Wessely as a front for his poisonous theories, or whether she actually knows full well that what she's doing is unscientific and harmful, but doesn't care because she's got a great career out of it.
Definitely thick. She's the one who tends to say blatantly stupid things in public. Though she might also be corrupt. The two aren't mutually exclusive :woot:

snowathlete

Yes, I think secretly, many are fairly contemptuous of this sort of stuff. But there's a sort of political correctness that forbids people actually saying such things out loud.

I expect you're right, it's a shame though that more academics don't dump the political correctness and instead correct the people producing this BS because it gives academics a bad name as a group.

chipmunk1

Patient expresses much emotion > therapist thinks cause = mass hysteria
Patient expresses little emotion > therapist thinks cause = suppressed emotions
Patient expresses mixed emotions > therapist thinks patient is too normal > cause must be burnout / stress related

I think it's more like:

Patient expresses much emotion > hysterical
Patient expresses little emotion > suppressed emotions
Patient expresses mixed emotions > therapist thinks patient is too normal > hiding something under the surface
Patient thinks this is all BS > proves patient is indeed guilty (too defensive)
Patient agrees > We told you so.

Art Vandelay

The role of high expectations of self and social desirability in emotional processing in individuals with irritable bowel syndrome: A qualitative study

They're serious? :bang-head:

A possible forthcoming publication from Chalder and Crawley:

"The role of a patient's astrological sign in the development of IBS, CFS and MUPS-related disorders and how CBT can adjust for malign planetary-based influences"

Last edited:

Skycloud

Adjusted my diet and it magically comes under control. Forget and all allow the wrong stuff to creep in it comes back.

If I'm stressed but eating the right foods - it's absolutely fine.

Funnily enough my IBS is less of a problem when I'm stressed, if a period of significant anxiety last year is anything to go by. Perhaps that's just me though.

RogerBlack

Does anyone understand the BPS model of diabetic foot ulcers?

This is one of the more reasonable in principle conditions where it might matter.
There is very clear link between prompt treatment of issues and bad blood-sugar control with worse disease.
It's not woo-woo emotional-body handwavy stuff, but much more concrete.
Something along the lines of
lack of rigid control of diet and adherence to proper blood sugar monitoring and control causing severe (measurable) excursions of blood glucose outside the safe range, causing peripheral neuropathy and the potential for untreated injuries to worsen. Lack of treatment as soon as possible of small injuries (and often other complications) leads to infection which can be very serious if not treated.'

This is clearly something where depression would make it more likely to neglect yourself and get worse.

I wish these sort of papers would not be put here on this forum. I see the title, am curious to read it, then get angry with the psycobablers and wish I spent my precious energy reading something more useful.

What gets me is who on earth funds these papers?

Is there a private or public organisation that funds only psycological things like this?

It doesn't even benefit antidepressants sold by drug companies, does it?

Expectations and "social desireability" of any illness, whether mental or physical is so useless to study and gives very little insight, except to occasional therapists