Volunteer opportunity: Organizing Phoenix Rising articles
This section contains all the articles that have been published by Phoenix Rising over the years. As you will see if you browse here, some of the articles are outdated--either the research has been superseded or retracted or the article features an event or campaign that is now in...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Sasha, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Maggie21

Maggie21

Perhaps the answer is if a particular patient is being talked about in the article hopefully they will be prepared to provide a photo of themselves that way the picture will match the description. If the patient is not then don't put a photo in at all, it isn't necessary after all. If they must put something in put in some sort of diagram describing symptoms or a graph with relevant figures or something of that sort.

If the article is general and doesn't mention specific patients then put in a few pictures representing varying degrees of severity, with real or imaginary patients, and/or some aforementioned relevant diagrams.

2. michaeljoseph

michaeljoseph

There is nothing wrong with the photo of the boy. His face is on the top right of rules of thirds composition grid and the wheelchair is a leading line to his face. His toys give it a nice touch and the background is slightly blurred to accentuate him .He is back lit or side lit too . in all he looks very natural

3. KitCat

KitCat be yourself. everyone else is already taken.

US
    brilliant! thanks for doing this.

Sasha likes this.
  4. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    I had the same thought Sasha. If people have something identifiably different, we look disingenuous.

5. Leopardtail

England
    As long as we are using a genuine ME patient who looks like death warmed up - I don't see the problem. Cancer campaigns didn't use people looking amazing - it would have been counter-productive. If ypu want to raise funds, which is the point of the excercise, then we need to generaye real sympathy for the disease.

6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Again, we've got to bear in mind that the media tend to only use genuine patients in their photos when the article is about that particular patient. Otherwise, they use someone who is clearly a model.

But if we're trying to raise funds, we're not bound by that principle. The PWME who is petitioning (25k signatures now, I think) for more NIH funding has a picture of herself lying in bed.

Valentijn likes this.
  7. Leopardtail

England
    I am not crystal clear what you are trying to say Sasha.

8. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Journalists and media outlets don't want photos of real patients, unless the story is about that particular patient. They want generic stock photos, not photos of specific patients.

So having ME patients pose for photos and send them in won't help with the problem of the media using crappy stock photos. They simply won't use the ME patient photos, and will continue using stock photos regardless.

Thus the solution is to have a compiled list of appropriate existing stock photos, getting ME/CFS added to those photos as labels so they turn up when searching for ME/CFS, and possibly creating and adding additional professional photos of non-patients (models) to use for ME/CFS.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Jeckylberry, Leopardtail and Sasha like this.
  9. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Not sure if you've read the article or are coming to the discussion late, but my article is about when the media use personal photos and when they want generic ones - such that PWME trying to supply the media with personal ones in the hope that they'll be used for general stories won't be productive.

Valentijn likes this.
  10. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Senior Member

UK
    Just come across this old BBC article where they've use a reasonable picture to illustrate ME.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/183239.stm

_183239_sleep_300.jpg

May be the media took ME more seriously in the 90's or may be they didn't have the stock photography they have today. Notice how they open the article by using myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) not CFS.

Jeckylberry and Esther12 like this.
  11. panckage

panckage Senior Member

Vancouver, BC
    @PhoenixDown that picture looks to me like someone about to sneeze more than anything :rofl:

12. slayadragon

slayadragon Senior Member

twitpic.com/photos/SlayaDragon
    That is a good collection of photographs that you put together, Sasha.

Roy S and Sasha like this.
  13. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Re the official Phoenix Rising photo resource page...
    http://phoenixrising.me/stock-photography

It's been noticed on Twitter that all the links to the photos have been broken. It's not a bug on Phoenix Rising but I assume that istock have changed their software.

It looks like the links are retrievable with a bit of googling.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Chezboo and simeyss like this.
  14. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    simeyss likes this.
  15. Lucibee

Lucibee

@Sasha Hope you don't mind, but I've downloaded and edited the Stockphoto list with updated/corrected links, if that's of use. Shall I upload it here or send to you direct?

Esther12, Chezboo, simeyss and 3 others like this.
  16. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Hi Lucibee - thanks for doing that - unfortunately unable to look at the mo.

I think someone did some edits on the page after me - @Mark? I don't know if anyone with edit access has the capacity to take this on?

Esther12 and simeyss like this.
  17. simeyss

simeyss

Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks so much for doing this, @Lucibee!

Esther12 likes this.
  18. Mark

Mark Former CEO

Sofa, UK
    As Sasha has suggested, we don't really have any volunteers to do this right now, apart from those of us who have to focus the limited time we have available for Phoenix Rising work on more fundamental matters. I think the best thing would be if you could post your updates here, then I'll keep your post in my bookmarks and if any volunteers appear I'll ask them to do the appropriate edits. Anyone who feels capable of editing a Wordpress page could do it, just in case anybody reading is interested.

Valentijn, Esther12 and Sasha like this.
  19. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Sounds like PR admin are extra stretched at the moment - thanks to everyone chipping in.

20. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I can sort out the editing, slowly, if the links are posted here.

Esther12, Valentijn and Sasha like this.

See more popular forum discussions.