August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Psychobabblers strike back with COFFI: Crawley, White, Moss-Morris et al

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Countrygirl, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21641846.2018.1426086?scroll=top&needAccess=true

Note the claim that 'lowered fitness' is associated with the failure to recover from the initial infection. Many/most of us were very active before we became ill, so presumably they are referring to the lowered activity levels when sick. Are they inching towards using their amazing discovery that sick people in their beds are less fit than their healthy counterparts to further justify the use of their damaging GET regime? :bang-head:

2. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member

So enraging after just learning about the Swedish couple that took their kids' lives. I fucking hate these people.

Sundancer, Cornishbird, justy and 6 others like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

justy, Mel9, SueJohnPat and 3 others like this.
  4. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

These people and their stupid acronyms. COFFI, coffee, fatigue, OK we get it. :rolleyes:

Allow me to translate:
    They've wrapped this up in reasonable language, but don't be fooled. These people are professional turd polishers.

Jessrose21, Cornishbird, zzz and 7 others like this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Let me sum it up ... some sick people are sicker, and if sicker they are less fit, and their nervous systems don't work right either. The issue with female gender goes to the entire immune thing, women are more likely to have issues with immune problems. This is not a weakness, its biology.

All the rest is fancy icing to cover up the taste.

6. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

it's so anti-science, specifically genetics.. I'm adopted and my biological mother and her oldest daughter overlap w my symptoms by 90-95%.. I didn't meet them until well after my CFS kicked in. there's just no argument for psychosomatic illness. Oh, and I was also very active before illness, and as much as is allowed between crashes..

Cornishbird, justy, Mel9 and 3 others like this.
  7. Countrygirl

UK
    Here is more of Crawley's handiwork. The father confirms it was Bath in a later tweet.

(second tweet)

Chelby, Cornishbird, justy and 8 others like this.
  8. Countrygirl

UK
    https://internationalcoffi.files.wo...i-london-meeting-report-june-4th-5th-2015.pdf

Cornishbird and Mel9 like this.
  9. Countrygirl

UK
    White and Crawley from the above document:

Moss-Morris

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Mel9 likes this.
  10. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    How can they conclude based on a "preliminary analysis" that lowered fitness is a "risk factor" for non-recovery? Is anyone able to see their methodology in a full report? Without more information, it only appears that there is an association between lowered fitness and non-recovery. The abstract does not provide effect sizes and does not state if this was just a correlation; we all know that correlation does not equal causation.

justy, Mel9, SueJohnPat and 2 others like this.
  11. Countrygirl

UK
    Now 3/4 of the way through the document and reaching for another blood pressure pill.:rolleyes:

These clowns are aiming to get US funding. I hope the OMF keep a close eye on their bitcoin donsation.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Mel9 and JeanneD like this.
  12. Countrygirl

UK
    They can't. They are fruitloops of the highest order.

boombachi, Mel9 and JeanneD like this.
  13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Somatisation is an inferred condition. It cannot be directly measured, confirmed, or refuted by any test. This is the fallacy of begging the question, at best. I wonder if they meant patients preferring to attribute the problems as somatic?

Mel9, SueJohnPat, JeanneD and 2 others like this.
  14. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Until this plp follow legal venues this will continue ( if it is a class law suit better).
    Second, I am remitting relapsing so I am going around my business one day and bed ridden the next ! How do they explain that

15. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

are there class action lawsuits in the UK? I was talking to a brit about our expensive healthcare here in the u.s. and I told him that I thought part of the high cost was due to doctors having to pay crazy insurance premiums for malpractice (although it varies greatly by specialty and location...) and he said that they don't have all the suing in the UK that we have here... (he jokingly said that it must be b/c doctors are better in the UK... ha! he didn't know about crawley..)..

16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Yes, there are class action lawsuits in the UK. However the laws are different and the success rate is so very low that in practice it rarely happens. Furthermore if you fail you can get the entire legal cost put on you. The issue is a series of laws I looked into some time ago. I have forgotten the details now. You have a much higher standard of proof than in the US, and payouts are capped by law ... tiny, tiny payouts by comparison with the US. You also have to be able to show tangible harm, and I suspect direct harm. Similar laws apply in Australia. I suspect we copied ours on theirs.

Mel9, ebethc and JeanneD like this.
  17. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    Insurance companies that are on the hook for medical malpractice lawsuits, like to spin the idea in the public's mind that malpractice lawsuits are driving the high cost of medical care. In fact, very few cases go to trial, and when one reads about huge judgment awards...the amount awarded is often reduced on appeal. The medical costs attributable to malpractice suits is about 2.4% as cited by Forbes in 2010. Article. If anything, there have been more restrictions placed on malpractice in specific jurisdictions since 2010.

18. Runner5

Runner5 Senior Member

PNW
    :bang-head:

Idiocracy medical system -- it is here. This is so frustrating.

ebethc and JeanneD like this.
  19. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

And yet we have people here in the US bleating endlessly that they want a system just like England’s NHS.
    Every democracy in history has destroyed itself. I wonder when it will be our turn.

Jessrose21 likes this.
  20. Runner5

Runner5 Senior Member

PNW
    Yes, I would very much like a system like the NHS. It would really help a lot of people.

Mel9 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.