• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Perfect Diet

AK2

Hello. I (think) I may have the finances needed to do proper grocery shopping. Im not sure if 10 dollars a day is enough, but here goes:

For years now I have been reading conflicting things about what I can or cant eat with CFS and suspected candida infection.

My question is:

1. On a 10 dollar a day budget
2. With the goal being a diet that will treat/help me recover from/cleans me from CFS/Eczema
3. What CAN I eat (lawd knows I have read MANY lists on what I CANT eat) that will be close to 2,000 calories a day?

Thank you everyone for your support! Im going shopping tomorrow, and am looking forward to suggestions.

Seven7

Seven
Funny You posted that. I am working on that myself. I decided to see a nutritionist for her/him to do the balancing, I am having issues making sure I get enough potassium and other things I need. Will share when I get something.

Esther12

When I looked at diet stuff, the whole thing seemed really quacky. I mean 'mainstream' and 'alternative' diet advice. Loads of poorly done and studies with exaggerated conclusions. Little really good evidence for anything. And, different people are likely to respond to different foods differently. And different people enjoy different foods - giving up sausages might be worthwhile if you're not that keen on them - I am though, so don't think it is (even if I have less than I'd like!).

Personally, I would try to eat much less sugar than most people in the West, more fruit and veg, and other than that not worry too much unless you personally seem to have a clear response to something. If you find that eating cheese makes you feel worse, eat less cheese. Onions make your belly feel funny? Could be worth cutting down on onions.

I am quite lazy about things like this though, I don't like the idea of going to the effort of trying different diets that have little evidence of their value. Some people have found that trying different diets with a poor evidence base happens to lead to them finding something which works for them... when it's likely that we all do respond differently to certain food types, this could be something you want to try (my desire to stick to things with a good evidence base began when I was confident I would recover - ten years in, and desperately trying random things seems less silly now).

Best of luck with everything. If you're just moving to doing your own shopping and cooking, it can be more work than expected at first, but should get easier as you get used to things (cooking a new dish is always harder than cooking one you know). Personally I'd focus on cooking simple and tasty stuff at first. Home cooked food with vegetables is unlikely to be that bad for you.