• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Nottingham Tool Kit: how the UK is selling ME patients down the river with £200 million for MUS

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
.... could you give me a link to 'FINE'?
Welcome @Dr Who. There are other doctors on this forum who are also ME/CFS patients, and a good number of caregivers too.

Link to the FINE trial:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1456982/
Fatigue Intervention by Nurses Evaluation – The FINE Trial. A randomised controlled trial of nurse led self-help treatment for patients in primary care with chronic fatigue syndrome: study protocol

Countrygirl

http://thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(17)30156-6/abstract#.WQDynwsx55g.facebook

In a new article in the Lancet headed, 'Low dose imipramine for functional somatic syndromes'

The introduction to the article informs the reader that CFS is one such example of a FSS.

Functional somatic syndromes are groups of symptoms without a clear medical explanation (also known as medically unexplained symptoms). They include chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and irritable bowel syndrome concomitantly; pain is commonly reported. Functional somatic syndromes represent a major challenge for health-care systems, professionals, and patients in terms of diagnosis and treatment. No strong evidence base exists beyond the experience and expertise of practitioners.

The rest of the article is behind a paywall.

It would be useful if someone could access it for us.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits

Sean

"Patients with functional somatic syndromes have explicit and highly elaborated self-diagnoses, and their symptoms are often refractory to reassurance, explanation, and standard treatment of symptoms"
Maybe that is because any reassurance, explanation, or standard treatment that is not grounded in the underlying reality of the disease process and the patient's experience of it, is unlikely to work, and might even be likely to make things far worse.

Just saying. :meh:

So this is what the government meant about investing in mental health services. Scary, scary stuff. I have been to the CFS clinic which did a whole lot of group CBT ... surprise surprise I still have ME! I mustn't have been trying hard enough to think myself better. Ironically it was an assessment by psych services during a long and protracted journey to diagnosis who advised I wasn't depressed, anxious, anxious over my health or having panic attacks and advised I may have ME. They discharged me straight away.

@Countrygirl I am shocked and saddened by how you have been treated.