• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"The New Name - Three out of Four Ain't Awful, But Is It Enough?" by Tina Tidmore

snowathlete

Good blog, thanks for the sharing.
I agree with most of what's being said. I'd probably give half a point each to Exersion and Intollerance as I think both have strengths and weaknesses. So I guess I'd could to 3 out of 4 as well. I agree that the name is accurate, but is narrower than it ought to be as the disease is about more than exersion. However, the author makes a good point that there were some very good people on the commitee and they considered lots of other labels before deciding this one was best. It isn't easy to come up with a perfect name, probably impossible.

As an aside, she mentioned Mad Cow Disease being a poor name for a disease that infects humans, but actually it is the disease that affects cattle, hence the name. It is also more properly known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE). In humans, the disease has neither label, but is called Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (V-CJD).

barbc56

Thanks @Dolphin

Interesting blog. I guess the reality is that progress is measured in baby steps.

But maybe those steps are going in the right direction?

I just wish I had the stamina to read the entire document. Kudos to all the great summaries people have provided.

Barb

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
I don't love the name, and I can't wait for the next few years of research to bear out a much better one, so I agree with this portion of her blog:

"So, with some humility, as I'm sure the individual committee members had to have, I say I trust that this is the best they can do for now considering the state of the science and the differing opinions, even of our experts on the committee. If they can set aside their strong opinions to pull together for a better name, even if not a perfect one, then I can join them. I know they feel just as passionate about this as I do."