• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Netherlands recognise ME as a serious illness today and CBT/GET now optional

Countrygirl

The main document about this is being translated into English at the moment, but in the meantime we must make do with this.

This whips the mat from under Dr Crawley's feet as she is always quoting the Dutch papers to support her approach.

https://www.medischcontact.nl/opinie/blogs-columns/blog/mecvs-advies-a-brand-new-day.htm

What was the twist about again? The controversy is - in a nutshell - over this increasingly sleetser theoretical model: the signs and symptoms of ME / CFS are maintained by false beliefs ( false beliefs illness ) and a lack of activity or fear of movement.

The treatment methods CGT ('talk') and GET ('move') are based on that model and are advertised as treatment of first choice. Put flat: we can not find anything, so it will be between the ears and that is what you need to do something about. Because this thinking model has been dominant in the research world for decades, the search for possible somatic causes is seriously frustrated.

The Health Council has found no evidence for the sustainability of this model. This is the main message: 'ME / CFS is a serious chronic disease that substantially limits the functioning and quality of life of people who suffer from it.'

More information coming later.

Countrygirl

HA! I'm planning to visit my Dutch GP this week, is there going to be a printout in Dutch about the new guidelines etc.? So i can bring it with me?
I think this might also be good news for the ones trying to obtain disability / "welfare".

There is already a document in Dutch @Thinktank . I must go now, but you may be able to locate it and if not, I will search for you later.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
That's huge!

The UK and the Netherlands are the two biggest funders of CBT/GET. Without them subsidizing those studies it never would have gotten off the ground. Those country's funding allowed CBT/GET to get magnitidues more funding than any other treatments.and to dominate treatment protocols for decades.

To see them do a turnabout is amazing. Is the UK next. Good point on the IOM report - hoped it would influence other countries and now it seems it has.

Last edited:

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Maybe because people suddenly start using common sense?
.. no.. that cant be it...
Common sense seems to be difficult.
But a problem too may be that we, for example me, wouldn´t have been better, if we wouldn´t be such sick. Often now I think humanity would begin when the beings would be able to think in possibilities, but so far it´s better to mistreat me (maybe on and on??) or to say I am more or less crazy, than to consider that it could be true what I´m telling.
Probably there should be more chapters about common sense in books.

Last edited:

andyguitar

Why the big change? Maybe the recent research from Japan that identified sites of inflammation in the brains of sufferers using scans might of helped? As that should satisfy the criteria for a diagnosis of Encephalitis the idea that CFS is a psychological problem is now been shown to be total c*ap. You cant even call it CFS now. It's Encephalitis. Game changer.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
I wonder if they're just tired of throwing millions of dollars at a treatment which doesn't help much. If CBT/GET is anything its pretty well studied but the AHRQ report could only provide a mild recommendation for it.

Why keeping spending money on something that doesn't produce good results?

I'll bet the IOM report made a difference as well.

Here's a link to the Health Council report

https://www.gezondheidsraad.nl/en/t...as-of-activity/optimale-gezondheidszorg/mecfs