• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"The Mitochondria Man Gets His Money and The UK Goes MEGA: ME/CFS Research Moving Forward"

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Very interesting overview of recent developments by Cort, and I've only read the front end so far. Hugely helpful for bioscience ignoramuses (ignoramusi?) such as myself to have the background and context of things such as mass spectrometry described so clearly.

Cort Johnson said:
Good things keep happening in the chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) world and not all of them are on the federal level. Private efforts emphasizing collaboration and working together are continuing to produce surprising results and make waves. The Open Medicine Foundation (OMF) is a good example of that. In just the last month it's packed on another $1,000,000 in private donations and that means a new study is underway.

The OMF's New Mitochondria Study

The size of OMF's success may be surprising, but the fact that it is a success isn't really. Put together a visionary program with top research talent the money is hopefully going to flow, and it has; $5 million dollars of it since 2012 with the vast majority of it coming recently.

This time $400,000 of it is flowing to the newest member of the team, mitochondrial expert Dr. Robert Naviaux. Dr. Naviaux's 100 person study will be looking in the smallest molecules in the body for the molecular roots of ME/CFS.

The really, really nice thing about the study is what came before it. This is not an exploratory study; that study - an 80 patient study using patients from Dr. Gordon's and Dr. Cheney's practices - has been done. Using a process called metabolomics that study (unpublished) found evidence of a unique chemical signature in ME/CFS patient's blood; a signature Dr. Naviaux hopes could provide a diagnostic biomarker, and spur the development of new "rational therapies" to treat ME/CFS.

Metabolomics

Metabolomics is one of the newer 'omics" (genomics, proteomics) which advances in molecular characterization and data mining are thrusting to the fore in medical research. Metabolomics measures the metabolites or small molecules a cell produces as it does its work. Generally defined as any molecule less than 1 kDa in size, these metabolites provide a snapshot of what’s happening in a cell.

Dr. Naviaux explains metabolism in terms of happens when our genetic heritage interacts with our environment. He uses the by-products or metabolites our cells produce to provide a new lens through which to “see” and understand the "inner world of the cell". He calls metabolomics “eavesdropping" on the collective conversations of the cells in the body".

The first metabolomics database was created eleven years ago just down the road from Dr. Naviaux at Scripps University in San Diego. In January 2007, the first draft of the human metabolome was completed at the Human Metabolome Project (HMP) at the University of Alberta, Canada.

Mass Spectrometers

Alan Rockwood, Ph.D
The big gun metabolomics brings to the research field is the mass spectrometer. It's proponents believe that mass spectrometer's (MS's) ability to discriminate between different molecules and different forms of proteins, will open up a golden age in biomarker discovery. MS's can detect small modifications of proteins or the presence of very small molecules that other techniques cannot....

Read the rest at:

http://www.healthrising.org/forums/...oes-mega-me-cfs-research-moving-forward.4360/

For people who struggle to read loads of text online, there's a PDF version you can print off:

http://www.healthrising.org/blog/20...onic-fatigue-syndrome-research-moves-forward/

taniaaust1

"This time $400,000 of it is flowing to the newest member of the team, mitochondrial expert Dr. Robert Naviaux. Dr. Naviaux's 100 person study will be looking in the smallest molecules in the body for the molecular roots of ME/CFS."

This is so exciting. I hope these new scientists dealing with us keep coming.