• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The man who quit $ to live in a cave

Seewell

I notice how housing costs are zero to minimal in both videos. 5 adults sharing a home while working the 1/10 acre is very efficient.

I notice also that the cost of all those solar panels isn't mentioned. This reminds me of Mr. Money Mustache ["early retirement through badassity"] who saved like a maniac through his 20s, bought a small house for cash, invested the rest, and now lives very simply with his wife and young son with nobody having to work. http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/ Part of the trick is to have a high paying job in your 20s.

yes,it would be great to have enough money behind you,to set your self up,
to live outside the system.
(oh well we can all dream:ill: )
Or Jarods Community way
Thanks for the link,checking out now.

Seewell

What about this guy.
Guerilla gardening in the urban jungle.Ron Finley in South Central LA.Ted Talk.
Even without any land of his own.

"Ron Finley plants vegetable gardens in South Central LA -- in abandoned lots, traffic medians, along the curbs. Why? for defiance, for beauty and to offer some alternative to fast food in a community where "the drive-thrus are killing more people than the drive-bys."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did this once.I lived in a small fishing village right by the sea.The wind would just about blow the cows over it was that strong,along with that & the salty air it was very hard to get any sort of crop/plant to grow.
But there was a big state owned forest back from the coast.So i planted a plum tree there in the middle of the forest.No one but me knew it was there.I got a real kick out of picking those plums:)..

angel-plants.jpg

maddietod

I keep trying to plant, but my clay soil defeats me. The hardest part of gardening for me is hauling in good soil. I can sit on the ground and plant or weed, but standing and digging flattens me.

But I also planted plum trees! A daughter dug the holes and I kept them watered. It's a lot easier than vegetables.

Seewell

Bad deal! :eek:

Maybe squid for breakfast and abalone lunch?

I thought it was a good deal:thumbsup::(
There good layers.you'll be sick of omelets you'll have so many eggs..
Or what about my rooster

But Seriously the community idea is great.I like my own space though.
(I could see myself there;))

Seewell

Im sorry this thread is not very spiritual any more .I thought Daniel Suelos story was a spiritual journey
as much as anything.
I wouldnt mind waking up to a view like his in the second video!
I feel isolated like him living with this illness sometimes.

Anyway i thought this was interesting,and along the same lines.
An island 1 hour from Vancouver.They are living off the land with no power,no roads,and some with no plumbing.There is an man in his mid 80s logging trees.Along with other locals.

I would love to live in a Log Cabin like this

Seewell

I don't think i would want to give up money 100% and live like cave man Daniel Suelo,i would at least like a small Shed or a Teepee.
And some tooth paste!.
But i do admire what hes trying to do..
Before i came down with this illness in around 99 i was working hard trying to save up enough money to buy my own little place,or some land. But i guess that is not to be now:( ..
If i did get better (i:angel:hope) i think i would like to buy a little land, put a log cabin on it(a caravan would do me).And have a good garden, some Animals .And try to live as self sufficient as i possibly could.

I have done this in the past in a way (with no land) just working part time,and not buying many things,i'm a homebody anyway. I found i could live ok like that. But i was by myself so i guess this makes it easier.

I hope the below videos are interesting,there all of the same lady, 'Becky's Homestead' http://BeckysHomestead.com
The first clip is an over run of what she is doing (bought land for $6300 -Built Log Cabin $30,000)
The others are just short fun animal clips from the same lady.

Homestead Ideas

Fat Ass on a Jackass

Never Ever Give Up!

Bad Donkey!

Seewell

This is along the same lines.
I remember watching this series on tv,was fun.
Sometimes i wonder if i was born out of time or something.
But i guess its easy to romanticise about the past.

Frontier House Episode01 : Some modern folks go back and live the old ways of the Pioneer/frontier people, 1880s.
(other episodes on Utube)