• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

the Hypothalamo-Hypophyseal-Adrenocortical System on Experimental Induction of CFS

leelaplay

Fred Springfield posted this to co-cure Feb 11 2010

Activity in the Hypothalamo-Hypophyseal-Adrenocortical System on Experimental Induction of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

(if: I don't really understand these studies that say they are "inducing" ME/CFS. If we knew how to induce ME/CFS, wouldn't we know how to cure it?)

Journal: Neurosci Behav Physiol. 2010 Feb 10. [Epub ahead of print]

Authors: Fomicheva EE, Filatenkova TA, Rybakina EG.

Affiliation: State Science Research Institute of Experimental Medicine, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, 12 Academician Pavlov Street, 197376, St. Petersburg, Russia, <eefomicheva@rambler.ru>.

NLM Citation: PMID: 20146018

Changes in the activity of the hypothalamo-hypophyseal-adrenocortical system (HHACS) were studied in an experimental model of chronic fatigue syndrome induced by i.p. administration of synthetic doublestranded RNA (polyriboinosinic:polyribocytidylic acid, Poly I:C) at a dose of 3 mg/kg.

Functional changes in the different components of the HHACS were detected using standard tests with i.p. ACTH or hydrocortisone on the background of cold stress and injections of Poly I:C. Single doses of Poly I:C were followed by the development of impairments to HHACS function, with decreases in the ACTH sensitivity of adrenal cells and suppression of the negative feedback mechanism, resulting in significant decreases in corticosterone concentrations in standard tests with administration of ACTH and hydrocortisone.