• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Histamine Gene rs10156191

Gondwanaland

I was telling this to people w/ MAO-A++ for awhile, I'd learned this connection from another poster. Then I was informed this is wrong, so I stopped commenting. Can you refer me to some info? thx.
Sorry I didn't find my links for a decent explanation, so here goes a brain fogged one:
Being +/+MAO-A is to some extent similar to being on MAO inhibitor drugs. People on MAOIs are advised to avoid high tyramine foods. Tyramine, like Histamine, is a monoamine that accumulates in the gut (bloating) and - not sure - elsewhere, making a lot of ammonia, ONOO, ROS during breakup...

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/documents/neurology/files/Tyramine Menu Book 06227101.pdf
https://www.headaches.org/pdf/Diet.pdf

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

@ahmo Just remembered, I was the another poster :lol:
DAO is the histamine SNP and MAO is the tyramine. But I think you will mostly find them together :aghhh:

Gingergrrl

Definitely not a dumb question! I can read a Bangkok street map better than I can follow the SNP roadmap:rolleyes:

@August59 Thank you and I am bowing out of this thread (not b/c you guys are not awesome!) but b/c I just don't understand it or how to proceed. I know I am having some histamine issues now and am being treated for them so even if I did know how to find or interpret the genetic info (which I don't!) I am not sure that it would change my treatment.

nandixon

Why does SNPedia say it is the AOC1 gene, but 23andme says it's the ABP1 gene?
It appears the newer, official symbol is AOC1, and that 23andMe hasn't updated to that yet.

SNPedia on the other hand, has some of the SNPs for that gene listed under AOC1 and some under ABP1. So SNPedia is needing to correct that and just use a single gene name/acronym for all the SNPs.

ahmo

@ahmo Just remembered, I was the another poster :lol:
DAO is the histamine SNP and MAO is the tyramine. But I think you will mostly find them together :aghhh:

My feeling is that it was a male, something over a year ago. But when I tried searching for this, I never found anything.

Tyramine, like Histamine, is a monoamine that accumulates in the gut (bloating) and - not sure - elsewhere, making a lot of ammonia, ONOO, ROS during breakup...

OMG, so this could be the source of my remaining bloating, even after my SIBO/Candida purge? And of my continual need to counteract ONOO, ROS, ammonia??

drob31

My feeling is that it was a male, something over a year ago. But when I tried searching for this, I never found anything.

OMG, so this could be the source of my remaining bloating, even after my SIBO/Candida purge? And of my continual need to counteract ONOO, ROS, ammonia??

If it is, you can partially counter histamines with L. Reuteri in probiotic form: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactobacillus_reuteri

ahmo

@drob31 yes, I''m taking something w/ reuteri in it. It's not high dose, maybe time to increase. thanks

I've finally found the Browse Raw Data link on 23andme. I'd just been using Promethease.
My ABP1:
CC
CC
CC
GG
CC
AA
CT
GG
CC
AA
CT

DAO: I have 17, of which 10 are homozygous. Hello histamine issues:ill:

@Gondwanaland I'm just reading the Tyramine Menu book. Thanks, this is the closest I've gotten to understanding this thing.

Last edited:

Valentijn

DAO: I have 17, of which 10 are homozygous. Hello histamine issues:ill:
I'm not sure you understand how SNPs work. Everyone has them. It's usually irrelevant if it's homozygous or heterozygous. Sometimes a certain allele is associated with a change in gene function, but only the relevant research can tell you when that is the case.

Simply "having" homozygous SNPs is completely meaningless. It doesn't cause histamine issues or anything else.

ahmo

It doesn't cause histamine issues or anything else.
Val, I have the snps. I have a considerable and consistent histamine problem. To keep repeating that these things are meaningless to some of us who are clearly having problems, in line with predicted issues, and who have the snps, does not add any useful information.

Last edited:

drob31

I will say that gene's are like a stick of dynamite. If you don't light it, it doesn't express and blow up, but it seems like allot of us went through some sort of stress that lit some sticks of dynamite.

While 1 SNP may not be enough, I think a combination of many of them like ahmo mentioned might have an effect on the total enzymes levels of DAO, and if that's true, then there is a connection.

Gondwanaland

@ahmo your homozygous SNPs can be either +/+ or -/-. You can't know what you have if you don't look into the reasearch.

From the 10 homozygous you have, it is possible that all of them are -/- ;)

The current 23andMe version is only testing for 6 SNPs and DH and I have all of them homozygous.

The Sterling's report lists 2 of them, so I know DH and I are +/+ for one of these (the same one, probably a very common one that no one else has a problem with but it surely adds to our burden ;))

So to find out if the other 4 SNPs are +/+ or -/- I must click one by one and look for the research :rolleyes:

Gondwanaland

You know what about DAO?

All my cousins from my father's side have asthma, and my sibs have rhinitis. I don't. But I know there is some inflammation due to allergy going on, and I suspect it is MAO-A related. I also suspect the +/+DAO and +/+MAO-A play a huge role in leaky gut and gut dysbiosis.

In my husband's family, he and his sibs have always had asthma, but when we got married his asthma went away, to come back some 15 years later, stress driven, perhaps from the inflammation promoted by his 2 +/+ COMTs.

Valentijn

Val, I have the snps. I have a considerable and consistent histamine problem. To keep repeating that these things are meaningless to some of us who are clearly having problems, in line with predicted issues, and who have the snps, dose not add any useful information.
Which versions of which SNPs? And is there research showing that those versions cause histamine issues?

Valentijn

@ahmo your homozygous SNPs can be either +/+ or -/-. You can't know what you have if you don't look into the reasearch.

From the 10 homozygous you have, it is possible that all of them are -/- ;)
And even more likely is that most of them are always -/- regardless of which version people have :p

ahmo

Which versions of which SNPs?
Copying and formatting all of them is too cumbersome. I was able to post my list of MAO becuse I copied brenda's and substituted the couple of mine that differed. DAO is recognized to be involved with histamine response. I don't have the energy to go further into the research. that's why the forums work for me: people sharing information they've taken the time to research.
So to find out if the other 4 SNPs are +/+ or -/- I must click one by one and look for the research
when I've completed the rest of my To-Do list.:whistle: