• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

" The guts of the issue" ... on the microbiome

arewenearlythereyet

Quite balanced report ...but really shows we don't know very much at the moment to manage the intestinal ecology. Maybe in 20-30 years we may know enough to try some treatments.

I liked the following

He is interested in how human beings throughout all of time have shared their bodies with bacteria, a symbiosis that entails that most of the bacteria in the body probably have some function or other. But most of the research, up until very recently, has been focused on finding the evil individual bacteria, naming them – and killing them.

“But there are very few that are only troublemakers,” Midtvedt says.

And

His most important lesson, which is now starting to acquire broad penetration, is that the bacteria in the intestinal system must be viewed as an ecosystem. Everything is connected with everything else, and this diversity must be there in order for us to stay healthy. You can’t just remove some “evil” bacteria, as one does with antibiotics, and believe that this is purely beneficial. Neither can you gobble up “nice” bacteria in the form of so-called probiotics, for example some types of yoghurt, and believe that this is purely beneficial as well.

“It’s difficult to be an ecologist – you become a tiny part of so much and have to take into account the whole shebang,” Midtvedt says.

ljimbo423

From the article-

In the USA, on average, children receive 10−20 antibiotic treatments by the age of 18.

I live in the United States and probably took about 20 antibiotic treatments by the age of 18. In total, throughout my life, I've taken closer to 40. I've had testing done and my microbiome was decimated and probably still is to a large extent.

I think science is in it's infancy in finding out the profound influences the microbiome has on health and disease.