• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Gut Microbiome and the Brain

Avengers26

@MeSci I have been thinking for quite sometime about making ice cream at home. I just am not sure how much effort it would need & worth the hassle. I looked at store bought low sugar ice cream & it had stuff like aspartame, which i try to avoid. I have heard conflicting studies about stevia, xylitol etc. that they are like low grade antibiotics for our gut flora & affect them adversely. May be, i should research more into making low sugar ice cream at home & see what are the safest options available.

@Violeta, This is why the more i read about this illness, the more i feel that tomorrow, if by miracle, a virus is found to be behind it & the right anti-viral given for it, even then, at least some of us (long term sufferers) may not be cured (instead only recover somewhat), why, because, Damage has been done. We are long long ways off from reversing CNS damage that has been done. But, yes, I would gladly take the recovery, too. For me, this is not pessimism, but realism. The journey of "trying to make myself better" makes me happy. Whether i achieve the destination or not is beyond my control. But, in future, if I look back, it would make me very happy that I tried & did what I could have.

@Violeta, When i had my 24 hour urine porphrins test, several of them came abnormally high. No doctor, even the CFS ones, have anything to say on it, even when specifically queried. How do I check what genes are involved in porphyria & if any, of mine, are involved. I find the whole genetics stuff confusing but I do have been able to educate myself on some very basic level stuff. I have never heard of that ice cream brand but will try to find it.

@ljimbo423, Good idea. Thanks. SCD is also on the future horizon. May be, I can make ice cream with honey. LOL, would that even be considered ice cream? Yeah, a person has got to enjoy at least a few things in life.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
@MeSci I have been thinking for quite sometime about making ice cream at home. I just am not sure how much effort it would need & worth the hassle. I looked at store bought low sugar ice cream & it had stuff like aspartame, which i try to avoid. I have heard conflicting studies about stevia, xylitol etc. that they are like low grade antibiotics for our gut flora & affect them adversely. May be, i should research more into making low sugar ice cream at home & see what are the safest options available.

Yes - people seem to vary in how they get on with xylitol. I am one of those who seem fine with it. If you search PR for 'xylitol' you will get a huge number of hits. I wouldn't touch aspartame, I don't think I've tried Stevia, and I seem to recall that a sorbitol-sweetened product I tried was unpalatable, but xylitol tastes fine to me.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have been thinking for quite sometime about making ice cream at home. I just am not sure how much effort it would need & worth the hassle.
You can buy electric ice cream makers that do most of the work for you. The best home made ice cream is made with a base that contains eggs and is cooked. That is some work.

I don's see why ice cream could not be made with honey. You would have to find how to convert the measurement for sugar to honey.

I don't know what using artificial sweetener would do. My preference is stevia.