• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Great VDR Taq/Bsm Debate

btdt

When I had EBV it was not detected if I was treated it was not for EBV as no doctor ever told me I had it.. I do not know what levels I had but they indicated I had EBV in the past but not in the present. I have no clue where it is but for the past two years I was jerking limbs and spine to the point I could not walk cns seems possible. I am getting better I think have been on countless antibiotics rounds mostly amoxacillian and I always stop jerking and can walk when I am on it. That has been consistent from the first time years ago... there was a talk here that amoxicillan lowers the glutamate level in the brain and perhaps that was why I could walk when I took it... but the last antibiotic was macrobid and it worked too.. I am thinking infection at this point.

Nothing shows on cbc they won't do any other testing

btdt

here are four SNPs associated with changes in VDR activity, one of which actually increases VDR activity and hence calcium uptake (rs2228570 – FokI); whilst the data for the other three is more confusing (rs1544410 – BsmI, rs7975232 – ApaI and rs731236 – TaqI).
https://www.mygenefood.com/genes/vdr/
rs2228570AA I have

can't quite sort how they all interact yet to form a picture I can work with

alicec

here are four SNPs associated with changes in VDR activity, one of which actually increases VDR activity and hence calcium uptake (rs2228570 – FokI); whilst the data for the other three is more confusing (rs1544410 – BsmI, rs7975232 – ApaI and rs731236 – TaqI).
https://www.mygenefood.com/genes/vdr/
rs2228570AA I have

can't quite sort how they all interact yet to form a picture I can work with

That statement is simply incorrect. Those 4 SNPs have very little effect on VDR activity. There are other SNPs which do have significant effects - you can find more info about them here.

btdt

@aliced
Should we tell them it is incorrect?
I was hoping that site would be helpful in picking correct foods once it was caught up as it says it is not taking any new people just now. \I have checked the orange highlighted entries from the list at that post found only one which was a mistake... apparently.
rs2228570 is that only one that made any sense given my bad experience taking calcium now that it is off the table and rs11574115 GG is seemingly a fine bit to have ...none of this applies to me best I can tell but guess I would not know that if I did not check.

Still my gut says to me there is something with the genefood idea only because of my experience and nothing weighs down the scale for me more than experience... learned that the hard way. Still learning thanks for your help. alicec

alicec

Should we tell them it is incorrect?

I doubt they would be interested in hearing this. They are pushing a particular line trying to convince people that common SNPs somehow need "treating". There is a whole internet industry out there trying to do the same thing. Most of the information they offer is dubious.

The best can be said for the notion of genefood is that a few of the common SNPs do have significant effects on their respective enzymes and if these are identified, it would be wise to ensure adequate intake of the respective co-factor or endproduct as an insurance.

These SNPs are so common that they are not the cause of disease. In some circumstances they might make a contribution to some symptoms, so ensuring adequate cofactor intake might be helpful.