• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Friday Rant - Fake News

Forbin

I'm outraged to have discovered that Spanish ships were on our coast... 119 years ago.
(My paperboy is incredibly unpunctual.)

008_ships_on_coast.jpg

Last edited:

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
I suspect The Last Leg will have some witty things to say about the Fake news epidemic tonight.
Good call, just watching it now and they're going on about fake news all the time, although apparently it's channel 4 fake news week so I suppose they would.

Looks to me as if, in the turf war between online and traditional news reporting, the establishment (if I may call the traditional news media that) are trying to get the first blow in by comparing the best of themselves with the worst of what's available online.

Long may that tactic last, but it can also go the other way:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...citation-unreliable-mail-online-a7570856.html

Not that I'm implying that wikipedia is the best of anything.

Already an entirely predictable response from print media (this time Forbes) outraged about "online censorship".

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevle...the-future-of-online-censorship/#6f3fe1245c36

They can all kick the shit out of each other for all I care. First one to report something accurate about ME gets my vote, and that seems to have occurred mainly online so far. No wonder the establishment media are worried if online platforms are causing them to lose sales and get called out on their fake news more often.

Anyway, nothing is happening online that print media wasn't doing 30 years ago - anyone remember the Sunday Sport?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Sport

Woolie

Suddenly hope springs in my world-weary breast - are the government and the media (real) about to organize a War on Fake News for me? This would be great, because to be honest since the War on Crime, the War on Drugs, and the War on Terror were all won I’ve been looking for an outlet for my sense of moral outrage, and this will do nicely.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:!!!!

Doubly hilarious when you consider the absolute BS and fear-mongering that lots of old school tabloid style newspapers dish out. Especially in the UK.

ash0787

I can explain a bit better - many of the major news outlets like CNN are either affiliated with certain politicians or they are essentially a personal blog for certain rich people, and in the same way some government positions are constructed fascades, we don't actually see the people who are really in control, at least in the US,
they are usually known as the illuminati / freemasons, I didn't think they actually existed until recently.
Thats why it was necessary to elect an orange idiot because he is just a normal person albeit with a lot of money, and he has no connection to those people.

The 'fake news' thing is a power play, it serves multiple purposes
- re-establish trust in the traditional media by making the alternative seem unreliable
- delegitimize Trump presidency by suggesting voting was based on disinformation
- censorship of contrasting viewpoints, anything they don't like magically becomes 'fake' and you never see it,
Facebook was famously caught doing a similar thing to a lesser extent. Twitter also does this now, its known as Throttling and not many people even know it is implemented.
- spread fear and paranoia about possible disasters that could occur as a result of viral mass delusion,
seems to tie in nicely with recent Cold War -esqe propaganda.

HowToEscape?

Well I'll happily rage against giving Dinkins and Giuliani too much credit for the crime drop in New York. This from chapter 4 of Freakonomics:

Full text here:

http://www.cc.ntut.edu.tw/~kmliu/freakonomics/4 criminals are gone.pdf

Sure, it's simplistic to state that Giuliani was the incarnation of Batman, single-gloved-ly scattering those who slither through the night (which begs the Q of who the tights-wearing Robin would be). But it's not all cultural shifts and demographic forces; other cities such as Chicago, St Louis, Camden, NJ (which is in the NYC metro) had diverging results, with their extreme crime rates falling less than NYCs.

I met someone who had experience on the perpetrator side of the system, and he lamented that now (this was about 4 years ago, before DiBlasio) "You can't do a home invasion, you can't do a carjack" because "you'll do five, ten, fifteen years". He'd already done about 20 years in one or another prison, so he had rather personal knowledge of how street life actually works. While it was clear he deserved the time he served, I also felt a some sympathy, as he'd learned the criminal ways from his Dad (and perhaps Mom). That's a data point of one, but it's real data. By contrast, something like Freakonomics is entertaining and sometimes even correct, it's not something I'd make policy on. Economists are much more fluent with theories than people.