• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Flu Vaccination Poll

Flu Shot: Before and After

• Game Changer I: I was healthy before; afterwards I came down with ME/CFS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Game Changer II: I had ME/CFS before; afterwards I got much worse and have not recovered

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Significant relapse/exacerbation of my symptoms for several months but I did recover

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Moderate relapse/exacerbation of my symptoms for a week to several months after which I recovered

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Felt down for a few days to a week and then got better

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • No problem! Sure the pinprick hurt but I carried on as before

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I've never taken a flu shot since I got sick - too scared!

Votes: 16 66.7%

• Total voters
K

_Kim_

Game Changer II

The flu shot I got on September 22nd brought on an immune reaction. I got sore throats, swollen right tonsil, fevers, and tender lymph nodes in my neck. Many other CFS symptoms got much worse including memory and concentration, PEM, more frequent headaches and exhaustion. Before the flu shot I was functioning, but was really pushing with all I had. After the flu shot, I was knocked down. Within less than two weeks, I had to withdraw from all of my classes. Since then, the immune symptoms that were triggered by the flu shot have resolved, but my other symptoms have not improved much.

Over my dead potentially-XMRV-ridden body, will I get an H1N1 flu vaccine.

But thanks. Red face. Yeah, I feel pretty strongly about vaccines.

And I am completely unscientific about it. Bear with me here: I got sick during the polio outbreak of early 50's ( live vaccine or...?) and was never quite the same. Was treated beginning at age three for three years with penicillin injections for high sed rates. Doctor had no idea why I had high sed rates or was lethargic. No dx. Just that 'she is sick with something and needs to rest'.

Back before antivirals, in the dark ages when I was in high school, I was given three ( in addition to my original) smallpox vaccinations, ostensibly to treat fever blisters that were off the chart. Three. I was a national merit scholar. I had presented a paper at a NASA forum facilitating a talent search. ie I liked school. I had all A's. I had 5 weeks to go to graduate. I never made it. I grew more oddly ill and lethargic. It was 1968.

In 1990 I got a chance to go to college. I also got a tetanus shot just before classes began in the spring semester of '93.

That semester there was a man in one class who had GWS. Looking back and searching for clues to my being ill, I remember wondering if I'd had something precipitant or progressive all along or if GWS ( vaccination alert ) is contagious. And no, I am not at all unaware how odd that may sound to some. Just weeks after classes began that semester, I began to have exercise (aerobics) induced temp. paralysis. I could not walk to my next class ( paralyzed). Next I was stricken with the typical prodromal acute viral event of CFIDS/XAND. Then I collapsed with CFIDS or whatever this is. Forever. Tetanus shot? Or... what was in it? What? 'Something Happened' as Joseph Heller once said.

And then there is what I read...about vaccines being associated with onset of myriad illnesses. So no, but thanks anyway.

Hope this makes sense. I am virtually comatose these days. So just ignore this post if it is too convoluted, bizarre or in the wrong thread. Tired.

Dainty

No flu shot(s) for me; I personally don't feel it's worth the risk. If I'm going to get sicker I'd rather it not be through a voluntary injection. :p

Frickly

flu vac side effects

I have never had the flu shot to my knowledge. However, my daughter received the flu mist last year when she was three. She became ill that day and was on the couch for about six months. I would have to carry her every where we went and finally on our second dr appt and after insisting on tests she was diagnosed with mono. She also got fifths disease and developed an intolerance to dairy, her favorite staple. I can't help but worry that this is the start of CFS for her. None of my children will ever receive another flu vaccination.

cfs since 1998

I have never had the flu shot to my knowledge. However, my daughter received the flu mist last year when she was three. She became ill that day and was on the couch for about six months. I would have to carry her every where we went and finally on our second dr appt and after insisting on tests she was diagnosed with mono. She also got fifths disease and developed an intolerance to dairy, her favorite staple. I can't help but worry that this is the start of CFS for her. None of my children will ever receive another flu vaccination.

Wow, interesting your daughter got mono right after a flu vaccine. I never had a flu vaccine ever but got mono about two months after an MMR and Hep. B vaccine. Coincidence or not, I have no idea.

blackbird

caged.
I had a flu shot years ago.I was told I had mild asthma, so I was eligible.

Not bothered for years though, and working on posture overtook inhalers within a few weeks, so never bothered with them again either.

Not getting this one. too risky. Especially considering the low chances of catching it whwn sat in the house alone most of the time.

Saw this a while back, so not bang up to date:
Swine Flu Deaths
(as a link rather than image, as it's huge)

Just wondering were ME deaths are hiding in there?
Probably spread around a few other categories I suppose.

R

Robin

I didn't get the flu shot for years. Then, four years ago I got the flu. A lot of people say they have the "flu" but really have a simple upper respiratory infection. Influenza is like being hit by a truck. I was moderately ill with CFS at the time, and when I got the flu I had three weeks of symptoms, followed about another three weeks of slowly regaining my energy level until I could leave the house again. It took another two or three months to get all of my (limited) energy back.

I got the shot the next year and had no problems except a sore arm. It was a total crap shoot because I'd heard so many stories about people relapsing from vaccines. But I did fine.

This year my CFS health has plummeted because of some unavoidable overexertion and I'm mostly bedridden again. I hesitated about getting the flu shot but memories of influenza haunted me! So, I got the seasonal flu shot, and the H1N1 shot too. I actually had a few good days after that shot but I'm sure it was a coincidence!