• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

THE EPCOTx Rx to optimise the gut

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Today comes the blog post a few months after the Webinar that was done on gut optimization using the EPCOTx protocol. Many people have heard of GAPS and the SCD diet for gut problems but there is not a one size fits all approach. EPCOTx is designed to do a few things after one major thing is corrected (melatonin) to get your gut working well once again. It limits inflammation while improving “gut leptin sensitivity” and once it is firmly entrenched it allow for better mitochondrial efficiency and protection of the intestinal barrier from free radicals, bad foods, and poor lifestyle choices. These things are called epigenetic effects. Watch this video to understand it more fully!
The “leaky gut” is also tied to cellular oxidation, a lack in the ability to chemically reduce the cells at night, and as a result increases cellular aging to cause disease. This protocol will help you rebuild your gut flora create the healthiest gut (which will give you the healthiest brain/gut) possible.
The EPCOTx Protocol works because it helps lowers inflammation, reduces oxidation, and helps you stay in a chemically reduced, “pro-gestation” pathway of health.
This protocol is especially effective in helping reverse:
Crohn’s
SIBO
Candida, GERD or helicobacter infection
Skin problems
Eating Disorders
Hormone imbalances
Obesity
Infertility
Hashimotos

EPCOTx is an acronym that stands for some core principles:
1. E = Epi-Paleo Rx method of eating. The food you eat should be as low in inflammation as possible based upon HS CRP, mTOR, Vitamin D, and your CoEnQ10 levels.
2. P= top quartile progesterone levels on your hormone panel. For men this one is relatively simple if you order the test. For ladies it requires the balance of Progesterone to Estradiol to be in decent balance to get optimal gut function.

... .

Read the rest of the article at the following link -- http://www.jackkruse.com/the-epcotx-rx/

Last edited by a moderator:

anne_likes_red

A change in location can affect the magnetic cells in the SCN. As I understand it, change for the better or worse can be caused by geomagnetic shifts, or by EMFs even. According to Dr Kruse, that changes the kinetics of all biochemical reactions...and It translates eventually to how you make ATP. Don't ask me exactly how :) I think that understanding may just be becoming evident?

I don't get the science (by a long way!), I only get that I personally respond to a locations effect, and I respond especially well to measures to control circadian signalling in general.

I discussed some of this, in regard to my locations effect experiences, here in PMs with RichVank a year or so ago.
I was interested in Stephanie Seneff's observations of locations effect and modern epidemic illness too, and I wanted his input on possible biochemical changes in organisms at different locations. Funny thing is, we discussed hypothetical effects in different types of bacteria, but never got around to changes in humans!

Interesting, because right now I'm getting advice from a diverse range of sources (even my local Weston Price Foundation chapter leaders) to consider strongly cutting down on EMFs and static, and artifical light too.

Just adding my experience and observations. :)
Anne.

alex3619

I haven't had the time to really look into this, and I might not. However many of the issues are ones I have been exploring and want to write a blog about later this year some time.

I think we need sleep due to optimization. If we were awake all day every day, the biochemistry necessary to sustain life would, I suspect, leave us as half-zombies. So evolution has found another way. Put all the different biochemistry that makes us sluggish, unattentive and downright stupid into one period in which we lie quietly and try not to get noticed by predators etc. That is sleep. As a result when we are awake, we have a concentration of biochemistry that has us more alert, more active and allows for intelligent response.

In ME I think we have that sleep mechanism part switched on even when awake. Its part of what we call brain fog. Its definitely at least partly reversible, largely by mechanisms discussed in EPCOTx, and its something I am interested in learning how to do.The problem is the techniques are all blunt instruments, affecting many other pathways than the intended ones. However, this is in part why shotgun protocols are used. Affect every bit a little instead of one bit a lot, and the side effects might be blurred out while the overlap at the target mechanism can still be powerful.

Bye, Alex

heapsreal

Alot of the treatments he recommends i have been doing anyway. low carb diet, adrenal hormones, improving insulin sensitivity, improving circadian/cortisol rhthyms, vit D, antioxidants, inflammation etc etc He does put it in a way thats easier to understand etc I think instead of going down one pathway say adrenal dysfunction, he tries to wrap it all up together.

He mentions cycloset, sounds interesting not just for improving insulin sensitivity but also circadian rhthyms?
Oxytocin also looks interesting and something dr goldstein use to say helped cfs/me??
Some interesting concepts i think could be helpful to cfs/me.

anne_likes_red

Heaps, yes the cycloset is for people who have really low morning cortisol, (low melatoning too I think?) and any level of insulin resistance.
I found blocking blue light from sundown helps with all these issues anyway. Difficult through winter - I had to make friends with talking books and podcasts. :D
And ice...as I've mentioned elsewhere. LOL.
Anne.

heapsreal

Benfotiamine will help insulin resistance.

Kruse also has an "Adrenal Fatigue" protocol:

Adrenal Fatigue = an inhibited PVN

Some of the things his writes is scientific hokum, but perhaps he is on to something, I'm not sure.

when i was looking into phosphatidylserine and most places just mention it as a cortisol blocker, there had to be better info out there. PS indirectly lowers cortisol by improving cortisol sensitivity in the PVN which then reduces corticol secretion. PVN is also apart of the hypothalamus which is probably injured in cfs/me and this is what causes sleep issues for us. I think its this cortisol rhthym that is what is important to reguate sleep, more so then circadian rhthym.
He has some good info and theories, i think u just take what is most suited to your circumstances and maybe add others later.

be good to keep some jack kruse info going here on PR.

cheers!!

adreno

PR activist
Actually, the first thing he recommends is getting progesterone levels up, to help protect and repair the hypothalamus. I am not sure that supplementing progesterone directly is good for males, but maybe pregnenolone could be used. I take 50mg daily, and it seems to help me. Maybe I should double my dose. Also, by taking DHEA, we might save progesterone, and prevent it from being "stolen".

anne_likes_red

My personal improvement following some of his protocols, indicates to me he must have some things right, to suit my biology, or my set of symptoms. Either that, or I had some things so wrong before that his wrong is less insidious than mine was? ;)

I'm not up for debate on any of his science, any of it. I just don't have a good biochemist-type science brain! I do try, but yeah...first to admit it can be hit and miss. :)
I do have a deep interest in evolutionary biology though, and I have developed an unlikely affinity for soaking in ice baths.

LOL. I think I can hear heaps's teeth chattering from here....or is that just the plumber's truck speeding over the speedhumps in our street again?

heapsreal

My personal improvement following some of his protocols, indicates to me he must have some things right, to suit my biology, or my set of symptoms. Either that, or I had some things so wrong before that his wrong is less insidious than mine was? ;)

I'm not up for debate on any of his science, any of it. I just don't have a good biochemist-type science brain! I do try, but yeah...first to admit it can be hit and miss. :)
I do have a deep interest in evolutionary biology though, and I have developed an unlikely affinity for soaking in ice baths.

LOL. I think I can hear heaps's teeth chattering from here....or is that just the plumber's truck speeding over the speedhumps in our street again?

i dont think i could do the ice baths, probably why i say i do bits and pieces of kruse stuff, lol

heapsreal

Actually, the first thing he recommends is getting progesterone levels up, to help protect and repair the hypothalamus. I am not sure that supplementing progesterone directly is good for males, but maybe pregnenolone could be used. I take 50mg daily, and it seems to help me. Maybe I should double my dose. Also, by taking DHEA, we might save progesterone, and prevent it from being "stolen".

Some hormone gurus use progesterone in men as it can help control estrogen. It all comes down to labs and getting ones levels to normal, too much progesterone would turn us into a breast feeding mother but we do need a certain amount. As you mention pregnenolone can also help with this, before there were pregnenolone testing they would use progesterone testing as a guide to pregnenolone levels.

adreno

PR activist
Some hormone gurus use progesterone in men as it can help control estrogen. It all comes down to labs and getting ones levels to normal, too much progesterone would turn us into a breast feeding mother but we do need a certain amount. As you mention pregnenolone can also help with this, before there were pregnenolone testing they would use progesterone testing as a guide to pregnenolone levels.
Right. I tried 20mg progesterone cream the other day, and while it did help my symptoms, I also got some tingling and sensitivity in the pecs and nipples. But maybe I just overdosed...

dbkita

My progesterone has been raised from below normal to right at the top of the range simply by taking sufficient DHEA (about 125 mg per day). I believe this has shunted pregnenolone to make progesterone. I also take glucocorticoids for an autoimmune disease so those are probably a factor as well so my immune response is tamped down enough to allow pregnenlone to be made (when firs tested it was almost undetectable). My 24 hour melatonin was a low flat line well before I learned I have Celiac's so I would not be surprised if there is a gut connection going on.

anne_likes_red

Heaps, as well as the estrogen effect, I've read that progesterone & melatonin work together to stimulate brain derived neurotrophic factor. Getting all these hormone ducks in a row can be important for neuro healing, as I understand it.

Adreno...hmmm...no tingly might be overdoing it :D I'm glad you got some early feedback/warning on that!

Asklipia

I just posted on the B2 I love you thread. There is a link between circadian alternance, th1/th2 balance, parasympathetic/sympathetic alternance and vitamin b2.

anne_likes_red

Heaps, yes the cycloset is for people who have really low morning cortisol, (low melatoning too I think?) and any level of insulin resistance.
I found blocking blue light from sundown helps with all these issues anyway. Difficult through winter - I had to make friends with talking books and podcasts. :D
And ice...as I've mentioned elsewhere. LOL.
Anne.

low melatoning heh I like that...think I'll leave it. I'm a veteran when it comes to low melatoning :cool:

heapsreal, I found a little more about cycloset - just to add to your every expanding body of knowledge, and you never know it might find itself into your n-1 one day.
Apparantly, used off label it stimulates the prolactin surge at night time that increases dopamine in the brain. Hmmm, from what else I think I know (?) that would have a flow on effect with autophagy...HGH release...and wakefulness at the correct time...ie raising cortisol and tightening up that pattern...so I'm led to believe.
It doesn't work on the insulin receptors at all. (It's the only med approved for T2 diabetes that doesn't.)

Told you I'd find out more if I could. Don't know if it will be useful..but there you go.
Anne.

Hi heaps this post is awesome. Learned more about gut function than I ever did in my life. Thank you so much. I am think of actually buying the webinar. Have u tried it or recommend it? You said something about low cortisol in the morning and low dhea levels and I have exactly that. What steps/things should I take to exactly solve this? Would the epoctx rx protocol help resolve this? I would really appreciate it if you could reply to me real quick and take a minute of your life to change mine.

heapsreal

Hi heaps this post is awesome. Learned more about gut function than I ever did in my life. Thank you so much. I am think of actually buying the webinar. Have u tried it or recommend it? You said something about low cortisol in the morning and low dhea levels and I have exactly that. What steps/things should I take to exactly solve this? Would the epoctx rx protocol help resolve this? I would really appreciate it if you could reply to me real quick and take a minute of your life to change mine.

Start with one thing at a time in low doses and slowly add to it.

I dont follow dr kruses recommendations to the letter but noticed alot of info he shared I had found helpful. Should be able to find enough info online without having to pay for it?

If cortisol dhea is a problem, look into pregnenolone first as it can help both dhea and cortisol in some. Transdremal pregnenolone cream is suppose to be one of the best ways to get it. Start low like 5mg and slowly work up to 50mg.

then look at getting cortisol and dhea tested again. If dhea still low then look at supplementing it, again start low 5mg and slowly increase.

thats where I would start as well as low carb diet.It seems eeveryone function on a different level of carbs so need to work it out.

once you have those sorted than look into the other options.

South

balance of Progesterone to Estradiol to be in decent balance to get optimal gut function.

The entire theory behind this Epcotx program is flawed. Raising progesterone made my gut worse, not better, and there are books and studies on progesterone that counter Kruse's theory.

There are two books written by Elizabeth Vliet, MD, on the effects in the body of progesterone and estradiol in women. She lists actual studies showing that progesterone worsens many digestive problems in women, and that estradial in women is not a bad guy.

I've had numerous hormone tests over the years, and the times that my estradiol was low in proportion to my progesterone were also times that my gut was near its worst. Completely counter to Kruse's theory for "what will help women".

That makes me doubt the logic of his reasoning for men as well.