• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Daily Beast: The cure for brain diseases is in your gut

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
However in Brain Maker Dr. Perlmutter shares new research and nutritional strategies to decrease the production of Clostridia-derived short chain fatty acids (SCFA)."

I wonder if he mean 'increase'?
There are numerous strains of Clostridia that he could be referring to if he's not specific. It seems that some of them are actually quite toxic.

Then again, he could be talking about Clostridium butyricum and may not be an advocate of it for some reason.

It's really an infant science. There's a lot of contradictory information out there and very little consensus. Hence we are mostly relegated to N=1 experiments, based on the few available bits of information, which ultimately implies a certain amount of risk.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
He seems to be saying that the point is to avoid SFCA's, though - which I thought was what we're actually trying to do (among other things).

Anyway, I'll order the book and find out.:)
I just logged into Amazon and this was recommended for me. Am I that predictable? Apparently so.

Clostridium is mentioned six times: difficile 4x and histolyticum once (the latter said to be increased in people with autism). Frustratingly, on the other occasion, it is Clostridium spp generally that are discussed. C. butyricum isn't mentioned. However, butyric acid gets a thumbs up. The problem appears to be with propionic acid, which Perlmutter claims is toxic to the brain (and contributes to a leaky gut).

Does C. butyricum produce much propionic acid?

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
He seems to be saying that the point is to avoid SFCA's, though - which I thought was what we're actually trying to do (among other things).
I don't know. Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong about it. You'll find people taking opposing stances on every single aspect of health care. There really isn't 100% consensus on anything in this field.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I don't know. Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong about it. You'll find people taking opposing stances on every single aspect of health care. There really isn't 100% consensus on anything in this field.

I'm wondering if it's just an error by the reviewer. I thought everyone thought SCFAs were a good thing.