• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Daily Beast: The cure for brain diseases is in your gut

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Just realised the article is by Daniel Perlmutter, who has a new book out ('Brain Maker') on this issue.

Sidereal

Fortunately, vanguard researchers are now recognizing the merits of a more holistic approach. Take researchers at Rush University Medical Center, for one. They’ve begun publishing data demonstrating the significant bowel issues associated with Parkinson’s disease that may actually have a role in its cause.

Dr. Christopher B. Forsyth and his team have recently demonstrated significant gut permeability, more commonly referred to as “leaky gut” in Parkinson’s patients. Their research has further revealed that this increase in gut leakiness enhances inflammation as well as the production of a unique protein—alpha-synuclein—both of which are characteristic of this disease.

This is beyond groundbreaking, it is iconoclastic in that it represents a break from the long-held mentality that brain disease must arise in the brain.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I hadn't even been aware that the 'leaky gut' stuff was viewed as respectable.

So hard to know what's considered established and what's not.

aimossy

Leaky gut is being mentioned more and more by mainstream researchers. I have also heard that there is some really hot stuff coming out, dont know when. Basically regarding Parkinson's and the ENS - with respect to dopamine and it being all kicked off by a virus. Only time will tell if this rumor actually gets to print though.

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Leaky gut is being mentioned more and more by mainstream researchers. I have also heard that there is some really hot stuff coming out, dont know when. Basically regarding Parkinson's and the ENS - with respect to dopamine and it being all kicked off by a virus. Only time will tell if this rumor actually gets to print though.

ENS?

dannybex

There will come a time when people dissing the microbiome will look as ridiculous as the people who opposed the germ theory of disease.

You're smarter than I am by far, but it's my understanding that those who opposed the germ theory basically said that germs can only take advantage of the host if the 'terrain' is weakened or stressed in some way. So couldn't that be applied to the microbiome -- that germs can take over only if the microbiome is imbalanced or stressed?

Sidereal

You're smarter than I am by far, but it's my understanding that those who opposed the germ theory basically said that germs can only take advantage of the host if the 'terrain' is weakened or stressed in some way. So couldn't that be applied to the microbiome -- that germs can take over only if the microbiome is imbalanced or stressed?

You are grossly overestimating my intelligence sir but to try to answer your question, some objected to any such concept as microscopic germs while others made more nuanced arguments. I do think you have to ask yourself what constitutes the terrain and what shapes it to become what it is. I believe our microbiome is crucial in shaping the terrain, particularly the immune and autonomic nervous system. Thus, if your beneficial commensals have been decimated it's easy for any pathogens to take over and produce a subjective experience of infection even though it's not a real infection in the traditional sense of the word... more like a gradient of dysbiosis.

Antares in NYC

Love the article, but hate the Daily Beast. It's a click-bait hole that has published extremely nasty articles on Lyme patients in the past.

Antares in NYC

I hadn't even been aware that the 'leaky gut' stuff was viewed as respectable.
So hard to know what's considered established and what's not.
Two years ago I had a respectable gastroenterologist laugh in my face when I mentioned "leaky gut."
He also missed an obvious diagnosis on a colonoscopy, and mistook electronic noise for something else, giving me a major scare.
(This year I saw a different gastro, who was the polar opposite and was able to make the right diagnosis.)

Last edited:

dannybex

I believe our microbiome is crucial in shaping the terrain, particularly the immune and autonomic nervous system. Thus, if your beneficial commensals have been decimated it's easy for any pathogens to take over and produce a subjective experience of infection even though it's not a real infection in the traditional sense of the word... more like a gradient of dysbiosis.

Thanks for the clarification. I share your viewpoint. Makes complete sense.

MCRobbie

If many diseases do begin in the gut or are impacted by a derangement within the gut I think its going to be difficult to turn that derangement towards health in illnesses like ME/CFS or in disease states where someone has been sick for many years due to this derangement.

The gut is spectacularly complex and mine has been in a state of profound dysfunction for over twenty years now likely due to a complex of factors, fifty plus course of antibiotics which can do terrible damage to ones biome, poor nutrition in my youth, not being breast fed, and who knows what else of a hundred other different factors.

Ive found it impossible to turn my gut towards health and I have tried just about everything, every diet, FODMap, Gaps, extremely high prebiotic fiber, low fiber, low histamine, ketogenic, fasting, probiotics, fermented foods, raw milk and colostrum, every natural anti microbial, natural anti inflammatory, FMT's, and the list goes on. Its rather remarkable that I haven't been able to turn it though others do have success. But once the gut becomes deranged and imbalanced with a dysfunctional mix of bacteria, viruses parasites, inflammation, leaky gut, in many cases it can be very hard to turn .

There are no easy solutions.

Right now Im on round two of FMT's and lots of Fresh liquid colostrum. Well see..........

Last edited:

If many diseases do begin in the gut or are impacted by a derangement within the gut I think its going to be difficult to turn that derangement towards health in illnesses like ME/CFS or in disease states where someone has been sick for many years due to this derangement.

The gut is spectacularly complex and mine has been in a state of profound dysfunction for over twenty years now likely due to a complex of factors, fifty plus course of antibiotics which can do terrible damage to ones biome, poor nutrition in my youth, not being breast fed, and who knows what else of a hundred other different factors.

Ive found it impossible to turn my gut towards health and I have tried just about everything, every diet, FODMap, Gaps, extremely high prebiotic fiber, low fiber, low histamine, ketogenic, fasting, probiotics, fermented foods, raw milk and colostrum, every natural anti microbial, natural anti inflammatory, FMT's, and the list goes on. Its rather remarkable that I haven't been able to turn it though others do have success. But once the gut becomes deranged and imbalanced with a dysfunctional mix of bacteria, viruses parasites, inflammation, leaky gut, in many cases it can be very hard to turn .

There are no easy solutions.

Right now Im on round two of FMT's and lots of Fresh liquid colostrum. Well see..........

You sound remarkably like I am when it comes to gut issues.
"normally" trained GI doctors will wait until we are almost dead before they take any action.
Pretty sure most of them are just idiots, otherwise what other reason?
This useless one that I have seen looks at me rather oddly.
We just have to find the good one. I feel like I need a fecal transplant.
Are they really so stupid that they think that won't work? Question to them: what else is there to lose?
Their inaction has already ruined me.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I must order it...

There's an odd statement in a customer review: "Thanks for pointing that out. To clarify, I know others have written about the links between diet, gut microbes and mood. I should rewrite that sentence. However in Brain Maker Dr. Perlmutter shares new research and nutritional strategies to decrease the production of Clostridia-derived short chain fatty acids (SCFA)."

I wonder if he mean 'increase'?