• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"The Chokehold Behavioral Treatments Have on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" (Nov 11)

Tom Kindlon

"The Chokehold Behavioral Treatments Have on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome"
by
Cort Johnson (Nov 11, 2015)

http://bit.ly/1Mr261r
i.e.
http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/2015/11/11/chokehold-behavioral-treatments-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

Cort looks at what ME/CFS treatment studies have been published since the start of 2013.

He highlights that there has been a lack of drug studies and that most of the these studies were small.

I've posted some extracts below.

"With only one type of non-behavioral treatment, acupuncture, being assessed in more than one study, few of these treatment options have a chance of going mainstream. (CBT/GET studies showed up in 38 citations). The countries that dominated the behavioral studies (n=36) – the UK and the Netherlands – showed a distinct preference for the types of studies they wish to fund; they produced only three non-behavioral studies."
---
Magnitudes more funding for behavioral treatments means they dominate the treatment regimens for many
---
"The implications of two governments [UK & Dutch] focusing substantial funding on one treatment type is clear: a dramatic restriction of the possible treatment options recommended for doctors and ultimately for most patients. Few of the treatments ME/CFS experts use showed up in this survey and few of which are available to patients seeing non-experts.

When a slim portion of the possible treatment options for a disease gets outsized attention three things happen: that treatment gets an undue focus in the media, doctors and patients treatment options are limited, and patients miss possibilities for treatment."
---
One [factor] is the unwillingness of federal funders such as the NIH to fund research that will reveal viable treatment targets for drug manufacturers. This poor research funding has left ME/CFS a biological mystery. This has opened the door, as has happened so many times to so many diseases over time, to a behavioral interpretation of it.

The willingness of federal funders in the UK and Europe to pump large amounts of money into the behavioral treatment trials has effectively exploited that opening. A significant portion of the medical profession either accepts a behavioral interpretation of ME/CFS or has little or no knowledge of other possible treatments.