• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Canary:I was humbled by the Millions Missing......now it is time for 'Unrest'

Countrygirl

https://www.thecanary.co/opinion/20...ns-missing-yesterday-now-its-time-for-unrest/

I could sit here and write about the notorious PACE trial; a pseudoscientific study into ME so warped that to this day, despite overwhelming evidence showing it’s deeply flawed and harmful, its authors still arrogantly and dogmatically stand by its results. But you can read what I had to say on that, here.

Maybe I should tell you about some of the harrowing stories I heard on Saturday. Like the parents who came to London, leaving their seriously ill daughter in hospital. A daughter, living with ME, who due to a complication of the disease has been in hospital for nearly three weeks. If she wasn’t there, she probably would have died.

I could complain about the lack of support from most MPs, judging by this Twitter search. And I could call out other disabled people’s organisations, some of which I vocally promote at length, which completely ignored Saturday’s action. But I’ll leave that for another time; like I’ll also leave out the medical misogyny that females with ME experience.

Or I could moan about the media coverage of the Millions Missing protest in London, which while to be welcomed was hardly groundbreaking stuff. It probably has a lot to do with organisations like the Science and Media Centre (SMC); a charity that promotes working between the media and the medical and scientific communities. As I reported in March, it has been actively trying to discredit anyone who questions the findings of the PACE trial; again due to alleged vested interests.

I get angry at a lot of things. I’m stopping myself crying while writing this. But none more so than at the disgusting and contemptible treatment of disabled people by the government, medical professionals and parts of society. That beautiful young girl summed up my anger and disgust at the way a community of at least 17 million people has been effectively given a death sentence from those who should be supporting it.

No more. It is, now, ‘time for unrest‘.