• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

THE BIG SHAVE 2013

Several of my friends in the UK are shaving their heads during ME awareness week to raise money of two UK ME charities!!

"Hello! My name's Amy, I'm 30 years old and I live in Winchester (Hampshire).
I have suffered from this horrid illness M.E. for over a decade and am mostly housebound and often bed bound.
Every year I try and do something in my own little way to raise funds for charity, but when you have severe M.E. you are quite limited in what you can do!
In the past I've done a sponsored silence and sponsored screen free weekend, as well as giving up Birthday and Christmas money to raise awareness and money for M.E. However, each time that I do, I am very aware that it is only those in the M.E. community or their immediate friends and family who donate. Very rarely does the news travel to the general public. I realised it was going to take something a bit bigger to do this and given that my body won’t allow me to bungee jump or parachute jump... sadly, I have made the bold or should I say bald decision to shave my hair off to raise money for charity!
Very drastic I know, especially as a female, however I hope this small sacrifice will show my dedication to the causes I hold dear, as well as the desperate longing to see my friends and myself recover from this horrific illness that is destroying our lives.
I have been told it will take 2-3 years at least, for my hair to grow back! so it really is a sacrifice for me, but a totally worthy cause!

I couldn't decide which two of my favourite charities I should donate to-

Invest in ME are a charity planning to start the first M.E biomedical research and treatment centre in the U.K. Raising more funds will allow the bio-medical research to begin.

The 25% M.E. Group are a support group for severe M.E. sufferers. Their advocacy service gives support and practical advice. Many advocacy service users have testified about how valuable the service has been and what a difference it has made for them. However the 25% ME Group has just one part time advocacy worker and it simply isn’t possible to meet all the demand. Raising more funds would allow the charity to expand the service.
Both charities are run by volunteers, many of whom have M.E. themselves.
So I have decided to give you the option of choosing who you would like to donate to.

When I shared my idea with the M.E community, I found several others who wanted to join in."

To find out more or donate please go to www.thebigshave2013.org

Please help spread the word!!!

*GG*

Oh, so there is no way to sponsor you? So that you can be recognized for your efforts/total raised.

GG

Tito

Just a practical comment: many ME sufferers suffer badly from the cold. Hair keeps your head warm. Without it, you may badly suffer. Is it worth risking this?

Yeah it is a good point. I think most of those taking part are bedbound/house bound anyway, so should be ok.
Its coming into summer in the UK, so that will help... a bit.
I do worry about he 57 year old lady who lives in scotland though, she is gonna get so cold!
Am sure they have all thought it through though.
I told them to get bandanas or wigs.

Yes to donate go to www.thebigshave2013.org

A x