• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The BIG CHASE: funding US ME/CFS non-profits

frenchtulip

New Eligibility Requirements

Eligibility

The Program is open to all Participants who allow "Access" and "Like" the Chase Community Giving application on the Facebook platform and abide by these Official Rules. In order to be eligible to receive a donation through the Program, a Charity must:

* be recognized as a 501(c)(3) public charity in the Guidestar database as of 12/31/10 and be available for selection through the Chase Community Giving application as of 03/31/11;
* be 501(c)(3) public charities and not be subject to any U.S. sanctions;
* have annual operating expenses of greater than or equal to $1,000,000 and less than or equal to $10,000,000 based on most recent IRS filings or otherwise substantiated through audited financial statements;
* be listed in IRS Publication 78;
* not be designated by the IRS as a private foundation;
* not have been awarded any grants through a previous Chase Community Giving program; and
* use all of the grant received from the program to promote or benefit one or more of the following categories: arts and culture, education and youth development, environment, animal welfare, health and social services, community development, medical research and awareness, recreation and sports, and international development.
http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/

Am I reading this right? The contest is targeting charities with operating expenses between $1,000,000 and $10,000,000. So the nonprofits on our list are all too small. The WPI and the CAA would perhaps qualify.

Sasha

Fine, thank you

Am I reading this right? The contest is targeting charities with operating expenses between $1,000,000 and $10,000,000. So the nonprofits on our list are all too small. The WPI and the CAA would perhaps qualify.

Sounds like that to me, tulip. That might bring in the university-linked labs (Dr Klimas's and maybe the Pacific Fatigue Labs) since their issue was that the ME/CFS bits are part of the university's whole thing.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
That sucks...What do non-profits between 1,000,000 and 10,000,000 care about $25K...Its the smaller non-profits that really need that kind of money..I don't get it.

We really need $ like that. That would have made a huge difference to us - and I daresay to the community.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Got some good news. Chase will do a program for small non-profits later on in the year...(whew!). That's only way PR can get that much money it appears...

[/QUOThe popular program has already awarded $10 million to 300 small and local charities in 38 states, and Washington, D.C., since 2009. Since its inception, Chase Community Giving has attracted more than 2.4 million fans that determined the winners from more than 500,000 participating charities nationwide. Chase is currently preparing for its Spring 2011 program, which will begin online Monday, April 4, and will focus on local charities with annual operating expenses from $1 million to $10 million. Plans are also underway for another program later this year geared toward smaller, more local charities

frenchtulip

That's great news, Cort! My heart sank when I saw those new rules. But for now, maybe we could get money for the WPI or the CFIDS Association. I sent a message to the WPI and posted info on the CFIDS Facebook page. I am also wondering if the National Fibromyalgia Association might qualify this time. If the Pacific Lab or Dr. Klimas' lab could benefit, that would be wonderful, too.

Frank

Ok hopefully we get at least WPI and CAA in contest. I'm ready to do some tutorial and website work.

frenchtulip

The Chase Community Giving site on Facebook is now open for charities to set up.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/ChaseCommunityGiving?sk=app_162065369655
If you do a search for charities, you'll find that the CFIDS Association and the WPI are both listed in their data bank. I guess we need to find out if these charities actually want to participate and if they meet the eligibility requirements. If so, we would need charity administrators for the contest pages. I'm not sure whether the administrator would need to be someone on-staff or if the each charity could designate a person outside the organization to serve as administrator. I will be busy in the next several days, there are about 16 days before voting begins.

frenchtulip

I did send a couple of emails to the WPI about the spring contest. I haven't heard back, but did see something on Facebook that made me think that Andrea is aware of the spring contest. Hopefully, the WPI has entered. I posted a message about the contest on the CFIDS Assn. Facebook page some time back. Kim made a comment, but I'm not sure whether they are interested in entering. With their small staff, it might be impossible to devote time to the contest--unless they designated a non-staff charity administrator who could do most of the work. There are nine days left before voting begins.

frenchtulip

Good news! I just heard back from the WPI. They are working on the Community Chase Giving project right now. It will be so great if they win!!!

Tuha

I think this year it will be more difficult than the last one. There will be big organisations with big support groups - so we have to do bigger effort than the last year to get some money for our organisations.
I found on internet a site with a lot of cfs organisations (their adresses and contacts).
http://www.mecfsforums.com/wiki/Organizations_for_ME/CFS

What do you think about to contact them and ask them if they can encourage their members to vote - they can make a small publicity on their web sites/ face book sites or most of them have a mailing list of their members so they can send them an email about the competition.

frenchtulip

Yes, I think it will be harder this time. Tuha, your idea of contacting the list of ME/CFS organizations is a great one. We could divide the list into parts and several of us could work contacting organizations. I would definitely be willing to take a portion of the list. I couldn't remember whether persons from outside the U.S. could vote, but in checking the rules, I find that they can. I think the WPI has a real shot at winning.

Tuha

The last year also people from outside the US could vote. I just checked the list of ME/ CFS organisations and if I count good there are almost 150. frenchtulip, i would join you with contacting the organisations. I think if we would find 10 other people it would be great - everyone could take 15 organisations. so lets wait some more days to see if someone want to help.

With this activity I have some questions - do we already know which organisations fit all the conditions?
would we start to contact the organisations slowly or do we wait till the begining of the competition?

Andrew

I'm getting confused reading this thread. At the beginning is says WPI is not eligible. I almost gave up. But then kept looking From what I can see, they are eligible. Maybe we need a new thread. Or edit the first message and have a link to the current info, simply stated.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
WPI are in the CHASE contest!

I'm getting confused reading this thread. At the beginning is says WPI is not eligible. I almost gave up. But then kept looking From what I can see, they are eligible. Maybe we need a new thread. Or edit the first message and have a link to the current info, simply stated.

Hi Andrew - when the thread began, we were assuming that the rules would be like last time and that the WPI would therefore be too big to enter - but recently the rules were published for the latest contest and they're different, making the WPI eligible.

I just got the following email from the WPI asking for support in the contest. We should think about how to generate the maximum possible support, with a clear explanation for the brain-fogged of what to do, whether it's daily voting, etc.

PLEASE HELP WPI HELP MILLIONS!

As you may know, Chase International recently created the Chase Community Giving program enabling participants to determine which small US non-profits will receive donations of more than $5 million from Chases philanthropy funds. The top 100 eligible organizations with the most votes earn $25,000 during Round One. During Round Two, the top eligible charity earns $500,000 and the remaining 99 earn anywhere from $20,000 to $400,000.

IT IS UP TO US TO GARNER ENOUGH VOTES SO THAT WPI CAN BE ONE OF THE WINNING ORGANIZATIONS

You have the opportunity to make a meaningful difference for the future of the WPI! The first round of the program begins April 21. Now is the time to spread the word about this opportunity and encourage your friends and family to support this great cause. Winning a portion of these funds will help WPI further its mission to bring discovery, knowledge, and effective treatments to patients with neuro-immune diseases.

It is more important now than ever that we take advantage of the amazing opportunity this program presents to WPI and the millions of people suffering around the world. Beginning Thursday, April 21, PLEASE log on to Chase Community Giving at http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving and cast your vote.

YOU DECIDE WHAT MATTERS AND EVERY VOTE COUNTS!

Dolphin

Here's the Chase page where you can search for charities to give to. I assume these are charities that qualify, but I can't guarantee it.

I think some of them wouldn't have had a turnover of $1m. Do people know if the WPI or the CAA (I know not everyone (or less) will vote for them) qualify. I don't live in the US so I'm not as au fait as I imagine others are regarding where to check such details.

frenchtulip

Dolphin, I just did a check to see if smaller organizations are in the Chase Facebook listing of charities. I found the New Jersey Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Association, which was in the competition for smaller nonprofits last time. Also, the American Cancer Society headquartered in Atlanta, GA is listed there. I think it must be a listing of all charities found at Guidestar.

The WPI is in the competition. I received the same email from the WPI that Sasha posted above and emailed them to see if we have permission to use their email when we contact other ME/CFS organizations asking for their help with voting. The WPI responded saying they would love to have our help and that we may in fact use their email.

Dolphin

Dolphin, I just did a check to see if smaller organizations are in the Chase Facebook listing of charities. I found the New Jersey Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Association, which was in the competition for smaller nonprofits last time. Also, the American Cancer Society headquartered in Atlanta, GA is listed there. I think it must be a listing of all charities found at Guidestar.

The WPI is in the competition. I received the same email from the WPI that Sasha posted above and emailed them to see if we have permission to use their email when we contact other ME/CFS organizations asking for their help with voting. The WPI responded saying they would love to have our help and that we may in fact use their email.
Ok. I received the same mail and have already forwarded it to a list. However, I would still like to know for definite whether the WPI and the CAA qualify before I make a huge effort asking people. I imagine it probably isn't too hard to check (if one knows where to check) on the financial returns for the qualifying year.

frenchtulip

Dolphin, you can check financial info for the WPI at www.guidestar.org. Do a search for the Whittemore Peterson Institute and then click on 990 forms from IRS. You have to register to access the info. I think the WPI has probably been very careful about the financial requirement; they were in the last competition with the smaller nonprofits and withdrew, I think, because their operating expenses were actually over $1 million. I haven't heard that the CAA is entering. If so, their info would also be at guidestar and is on their website at www.cfids.org.

Tuha, I'm glad you want to contact ME/CFS organizations, too. I'll be glad to take any part of the list you want me to. Voting begins on April 21st, so there's only about a week left. I don't know that it matters when we start contacting other nonprofits to ask for their help in voting.