• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Antidepressant Trap

datadragon

There are many nutrients involved in the serotonin/melatonin pathway that would cause depression, anxiety/panic, ocd, confidence issues, sleep issues and more when any of the nutrients are deficient. Using drugs may short term alleviate the problem (and some try to do so ongoing), but these nutrients are used all throughout the body, and so a deficiency will negatively also effect far more areas of the body as well. Magnesium for example is a cofactor in more than 300 enzyme systems that regulate diverse biochemical reactions in the body, including protein synthesis, muscle and nerve function, blood glucose control, atp energy production, and blood pressure regulation. Imagine if your deficient and instead use a drug, leaving all those deficiencies to continue longer term. If they knew better, they'd do better is my motto. Maybe I should post this 'recipe' for serotonin and melatonin below elsewhere and explain in more detail how to properly deal with those issues as I have done for myself.

MelatoninCopperBlocks.jpg

Last edited:

Eastman

Methodological Flaws, Conflicts of Interest, and Scientific Fallacies: Implications for the Evaluation of Antidepressants’ Efficacy and Harm

Abstract

Background
In current psychiatric practice, antidepressants are widely and with ever-increasing frequency prescribed to patients. However, several scientific biases obfuscate estimates of antidepressants’ efficacy and harm, and these are barely recognized in treatment guidelines. The aim of this mini-review is to critically evaluate the efficacy and harm of antidepressants for acute and maintenance treatment with respect to systematic biases related to industry funding and trial methodology.

Methods
Narrative review based on a comprehensive search of the literature.

Results
It is shown that the pooled efficacy of antidepressants is weak and below the threshold of a minimally clinically important change once publication and reporting biases are considered. Moreover, the small mean difference in symptom reductions relative to placebo is possibly attributable to observer effects in unblinded assessors and patient expectancies. With respect to trial dropout rates, a hard outcome not subjected to observer bias, no difference was observed between antidepressants and placebo. The discontinuation trials on the efficacy of antidepressants in maintenance therapy are systematically flawed, because in these studies, spontaneous remitters are excluded, whereas half of all patients who remitted on antidepressants are abruptly switched to placebo. This can cause a severe withdrawal syndrome that is easily misdiagnosed as a relapse when assessed on subjective symptom rating scales. In accordance, the findings of naturalistic long-term studies suggest that maintenance therapy has no clear benefit, and non-drug users do not show increased recurrence rates. Moreover, a growing body of evidence from hundreds of randomized controlled trials suggests that antidepressants cause suicidality, but this risk is underestimated because data from industry-funded trials are systematically flawed. Unselected, population-wide observational studies indicate that depressive patients who use antidepressants are at an increased risk of suicide and that they have a higher rate of all-cause mortality than matched controls.

Conclusion
The strong reliance on industry-funded research results in an uncritical approval of antidepressants. Due to several flaws such as publication and reporting bias, unblinding of outcome assessors, concealment and recoding of serious adverse events, the efficacy of antidepressants is systematically overestimated, and harm is systematically underestimated. Therefore, I conclude that antidepressants are largely ineffective and potentially harmful.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I read this book and can recommend it to both men and women:
A Mind of Your Own: The Truth About Depression and How Women Can Heal Their Bodies to Reclaim Their Lives
Kelly Brogan, M.D.

https://www.amazon.com/Mind-Your-Own-Depression-Reclaim/dp/0062405578

A silent tragedy in the history of modern health care is happening right now in America, but no one is talking about it. We have been told a story of depression: that it is caused by a chemical imbalance and cured by a chemical fix—a prescription. More than 30 million of us take antidepressants, including one in seven women (one in four women in their forties and fifties). Millions more—maybe you—are tempted to try them to end chronic, unyielding distress, irritability, and feeling emotionally flat—trapped by an exhausting, unshakable inner agitation.

It is time to let go of this false narrative and take a fresh look at where science is leading us. Before you try an antidepressant, I implore you to read this book. And if you do currently take these drugs, then I have an important message for you, too. Let me give you a primer.

Believe it or not:
- In six decades, not a single study has proven that depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain.
- The serotonin theory of depression is a myth that has been supported by the manipulation of data and an echo chamber of industry and media rhetoric.[...]

Last edited:
Imo, depression that is non acute (extreme bereavement) should be managed first or in combo with diet, lifestyle, addressing gut biome and deficiencies and mold, toxin, etc exposure. Throwing drugs at something as a bandaid for a deeper health rooted problem is insane.

Psychiatrists do talk therapy and CBT etc alongside medication, why shouldnt something like nutritional therapy be added to that?

Diet and lifestyle factors are number 1. This forum is well aware of modern allopathic medicine missing he big picture, so no use going into it, but this applies to all aspects of medicine. Chris Kesser talks about this on his appearances on Joe Rogan podcast.

People want doctors to 'do something', preferably without involving exercise, diet modification, or any other sort of sacrifice. People want magic pills. The pharmaceutical industry wants to sell magic pills, even if they have no real benefit for people. The administrative part of the medical system wants expansion of their dominion (and thus increased pay and prestige). The voices for actual health care for patients just don't have much strength compared to the money talking. Sad, but I don't see any way to solve that.

I do not blame patients entirely when they have been led astray by our leaders and supposedly respected professionals. How many years were we told to eat low fat diets with wheat products and frankenfoods like margerine making up a big part our meals?

Of course everyone needs personal responsibility, but the average person raised and indoctrinated in what we call a functioning society is molded to believe and behave a certain way, and this includes choices which lead to long reaching health ramifications.

The issue is systemic.