• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Testing ammonia levels

globalpilot

Hi,
I would like to get my blood ammonia tested. I have 2 questions about this:

a. do any special measures need to be taken so the sample doesn't spoil such as putting the sample on ice ?

b. should I check other parameters such as blood urea ? are there any other measurements that would give a clue as to whether ammonia is an issue ?

Regards,
Global Pilot

Hi Just want to add to this... I heard that urine PH may indicate an ammonia issue, what kind of range are we looking at here? (mine was 5.5..is this bad?)

globalpilot

That seems a little low. I try to keep mine above 6 so I don't develop more kidney stones. I don't need anymore of those!

dannybex

It depends on how it is measured. My NutrEval urine ammonia level was high, but still within "normal" limits -- at 39.3. Their lab normal range is 12.0-41.0 mmol/g creatine.

Not sure about blood ammonia tests...