• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Terpenes = reduced PEM

Hip

@Hip yes, i do have MCAS

My guess then is that the benefits you are experiencing from D-limonene might be mediated by your MCAS, because MCAS is a condition which is sensitive to even very small amounts of chemicals. Otherwise, it would be hard to explain why just a sniff of D-limonene (which is a minute dose) could have such major effects.

NotThisGuy

My guess then is that the benefits you are experiencing from D-limonene might be mediated by your MCAS, because MCAS is a condition which is sensitive to even very small amounts of chemicals. Otherwise, it would be hard to explain why just a sniff of D-limonene (which is a minute dose) could have such major effects.

so you think my theory of my second post in this thread is more likely? that it draws my adrenals because of the MCAS?
I overreact to everything in just tiny dosage.
This still doesn't explain why my PEM got better and my multiple chemical sensitivies and MCAS actually got better.
It also doesn't explain the persisting rabbit pallet BM which I never had before Limonene sniffing.

Hip

@NotThisGuy
What I am saying is the in order for such a minute dose of D-limonene to have such a major benefit, the effects of D-limonene must be mediated through some mechanism in the body which is very sensitive to tiny doses. MCAS is one such mechanism. So maybe D-limonene is modulating your MCAS responses, which in turn is improving other symptoms such as PEM.

By the way, you state that you have both multiple chemical sensitivity and MCAS? Do you really think that you have both? These are two conditions with very similar symptoms, but likely different mechanisms causing those symptoms. For an explanation, see this post.

NotThisGuy

@NotThisGuy
What I am saying is the in order for such a minute dose of D-limonene to have such a major benefit, the effects of D-limonene must be mediated through some mechanism in the body which is very sensitive to tiny doses. MCAS is one such mechanism. So maybe D-limonene is modulating your MCAS responses, which in turn is improving other symptoms such as PEM.

By the way, you state that you have both multiple chemical sensitivity and MCAS? Do you really think that you have both? These are two conditions with very similar symptoms, but likely different mechanisms causing those symptoms. For an explanation, see this post.

I have MCAS. (severe actually)
But i also react to chemicals like someone with MCS.
Dont know how to test it. You mentioned something that sounds not very safe in this post.

So how is Limonene modulating my MCAS?
Especially since it triggers MCAS Symptoms at first.
Maybe it improves something in the limbic System? Thats the only part I heard about beeing sensitive to tiny doses?

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Day 4: Somehow the Limonene didnt smell that strong anymore. It actually started to smell sweet and like an orange.
I thought it must have gotten weaker, like oxidized or something...

Or your liver is better at metabolizing it so you are better tolerating it. This often happens.

Last edited: