• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Terminated after 20 years

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
so sorry. I agree w/ others re : legal advice. At very least you should be able to leave via disability. That usually protects your pension too. Certainly protects your SS for retirement. ( Once you reach a certain age , you switch from SSD to regular SS. )
Keep us posted, we care.

So sorry. Not sure what the answer is, but it happened to me also (with many years experience), no pension... Work was killing me, so in that repsect it was a blessing, but financailly a disaster. good luck. If you are willing and able to work somewhat, you could try a lawyer, or go to the EEOC.gov - directly to state or (better I think) the local US gov office. You can call them first I think to see if you might have a case, and make an appointment with the local office. Otherwise, ssdi or company ST disability/LT disability insurance. I did not get that either... another tragedy of justice. Not sure if you can request that to your employer.

I was in like in shock the first few days, probably for several weeks or months. It may take a while for what seems to be a dream to reach reality/acceptance.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
:hug:

At least I had a 401K when I got dismissed, so I have that much retirement. Of course I would have a lot more if I was still working.

So sorry to hear, Roxie60 ! ~ Heartfelt sympathy and support ! ~
A crushing blow indeed ! ~
Why could I not have willed myself one more time to be able to work :cry:
The question seems to me to be: How, but how could your employers be callous enough to treat you in such an impersonal, ruthless and cruel fashion after SO many years, knowing the consequences that terminating your contract ( gee ! what a nasty word, for a nasty, omminous decision !) would have on your entire future and old age? ! ~ Ouch ! ~ No wonder you feel crushed ! ~

If I was in your shoes, I imagine I would need some time to "digest" (swallow!) the news, recover from the shock itself , while my poor brain would be going overtime trying to envisage possible ways forward ...Being a "newbie" here, I do not know whether you have loved ones at home to support you through this crisis...I hope it is the case ! ~
58487410.gif

roxie60

Got the big envelope today (made me cry again briefly, I hate crying cause it gives me headaches, makes me feel sick). Anyway sort of a positive I will be able to get my 401K balance (less 30% the govy will take - isnt it nice they get so much of the fruit of my labors when I could labor and and they do no labor for it :mad:, I could use that 30% right now ). Anyway it will give me money to help pay the COBRA insurance premiums (I dont know how much yet) and pay off my VISA bills and keep meeting monthly expenses for next 10 months (I hope), less if I have to pay lawyers. I want to be positive and optimisitc but it is really hard to do so right now, I feel crushed, damned if I do and damned if I dont. People suggest I get onto Unemployment, problem is it assumes you can seek work and then work if you are offered a job, if I could do that I would have gone back to my job for 15 months. I really did not know what I should do, everyone has suggestions but all the senarios I could think of always had negative consequences. I just cant deal with all this paper today. Tomorrow I get to pick up a copy of the neuropsych eval, I'm expecting it to not be supportive of my case, I will be pleasantly surprised if it does support long term disability.

roxie60

If you have a job and are sick I guess looking back I would say no matter what try to keep it if you can until retirement. Believe me I know that is easier said than done.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Anyway sort of a positive I will be able to get my 401K balance (less 30% the govy will take - isnt it nice they get so much of the fruit of my labors when I could labor and and they do no labor for it :mad:, I could use that 30% right now ).
Unless you need that money now, you should be able to "roll over" the company 401K into an account of your own without the government taking any. Talk to a financial adviser. Can you hold out until you know if the disability is coming through?

roxie60

I expect the disability decision in the next two weeks. Even if they give it to me I think I just want to take the money and pay off debt, that will reduce stress not having as much debt. Govy probably going to try to change the rules anyway, might as well get it now and pay down debt.

vamah

Got the big envelope today (made me cry again briefly, I hate crying cause it gives me headaches, makes me feel sick). Anyway sort of a positive I will be able to get my 401K balance (less 30% the govy will take - isnt it nice they get so much of the fruit of my labors when I could labor and and they do no labor for it :mad:, I could use that 30% right now ). Anyway it will give me money to help pay the COBRA insurance premiums (I dont know how much yet) and pay off my VISA bills and keep meeting monthly expenses for next 10 months (I hope), less if I have to pay lawyers. I want to be positive and optimisitc but it is really hard to do so right now, I feel crushed, damned if I do and damned if I dont. People suggest I get onto Unemployment, problem is it assumes you can seek work and then work if you are offered a job, if I could do that I would have gone back to my job for 15 months. I really did not know what I should do, everyone has suggestions but all the senarios I could think of always had negative consequences. I just cant deal with all this paper today. Tomorrow I get to pick up a copy of the neuropsych eval, I'm expecting it to not be supportive of my case, I will be pleasantly surprised if it does support long term disability.

If I were you I would get on unemployment anyway and worry about the implications if/when they arise. It is better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. Hope everything works out for you regarding disability.

Ema

If I were you I would get on unemployment anyway and worry about the implications if/when they arise. It is better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. Hope everything works out for you regarding disability.
I think this could very well bite you in the butt. Consult an attorney but I would not sign anything saying I was able to work in order to get unemployment if I was applying for disability.

Ema

vamah

I think this could very well bite you in the butt. Consult an attorney but I would not sign anything saying I was able to work in order to get unemployment if I was applying for disability.

Ema

You are right. I meant that if she was turned down for disability. I should have been more clear.

roxie60

I expect to be turned down for disability soon. Just got copy of last IME and not only did he confirm that it is all in my head, that my physical problems are just manifestations of my chronic depression, that I am introverted, emotionally alienated (?), socially withdrawn, I also have schizophrenic tendencies (I may have to look this up, if I really care, since I'm not sure what this means). I am amazed at how people are treated, this has been an eye opening experience. Other than that as I always say I am the poster child of health. Oh yes I think I recall he also said I had problem with authority....