• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

[TEDtalk] Daniel Kraft: Medicine's future?

Waverunner

As we currently see in CFS, general diagnostics and treatments are not very sophisticated. This will change and probably will do so fast. Daniel Kraft gave a great overview, of what we already have accomplished during the last few years and what we can look for, in the future. We are at the border of a new era of medicine, where advanced diagnostics and individualized treatment, in my eyes, will get at the root of CFS and will cure it.

Bob

Thanks Waverunner. Very interesting. The idea of an exponential growth in the capacity of technology is a fascinating idea to get your head around. We live in very interesting times! They mention the 'Singularity University'. The theory behind the 'singularity', is that the capacity and capabilities of technology will one day soon overtake the capacity of humans. At that point, technology itself will design/invent/make new technologies, with even higher capabilities. It's a bit scary, but it's quite mind-blowing to think where this will lead us.

SilverbladeTE

Bob,
Where will it lead?
DALEKS!!! ;)

victory_of_the_daleks.jpg

hehe!
the Singularity is an intriguing idea been reading about for a while...think it was Verner Vinge?? who first proposed it?

Bob

Bob,
Where will it lead?
DALEKS!!! ;)

hehe! ...

Clearly, Daleks are the future! :)

the Singularity is an intriguing idea been reading about for a while...think it was Verner Vinge?? who first proposed it?

I'm not sure who proposed the idea first.
Ray Kurzwell writes about it a lot. I've read a book by him, but it's very repetitive, and I think I've summarised it in my previous post.
All his ideas can be read about by doing a google search.
He thinks the singularity is only a few years away, but I think it will take another couple of decades until we have computers that can mimic humans. Still, that's not far away.

SilverbladeTE

good post thanks Waverunner :)
yeah the gross simplicity of how the "medical professioN" looks at health is absolutely prehistoric! :/

32^2, 32 chromosome pairs, to power of 2, = 70+ billion BASIC compbinations of Homo Sapien
add in mutation and other factors, the numbers get into the realms of the completely incomprehensible

SilverbladeTE

damn it
sorry so SICK of being stupid now :(
23 pairs in each partner so 23^2 = 8,388,608
so since combination with other partner's as well it's
8,288,608^2
= 70,368,744,177,664
so 70 TRILLION *basic* combinations of "Human"
and there are vast number of variations within each gene, the total possible combination number is...beyond all reason. more than there atoms in the Universe by a damn good number, iirc

please forgive me being stupid and grouchy folks, hate hate HATE this illness :(