• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tea Tree Oil for Nasal Polyps

Rand56

For quite some time I've had this polyp in my right nostril. Didn't think much of it at first because it didn't obstruct my breathing so much but it got worse as time went on. Did some reading up on taking some tea tree oil on a Q-tip can help. So I tried it. Have done a couple of applications per day for the last week and it's working! It has shrunk considerably. I'll keep at it awhile longer. Then thinking also about diluting some TTO in some distilled water and put it in a nasal spray bottle so I can blast my nostrils every so often to hopefully keep any others at bay if they decide to pop up.

Rand

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Don't know that I'd blast even if it was diluted? the skin in the nasal passage is very delicate, think I'd just stick to putting it on the polyp, glad its working though. I swear by TTO but am careful with it.

SOC

Just a note of warning: tea tree oil is also a vasodilator. If you already have low blood pressure or low blood volume, tea tree oil could cause you problems by increasing your vein and artery volume and thereby dropping your BP and/or reducing blood flow to your brain (and other extremities). Putting it directly in your nose or mouth could be particularly risky.

Tea tree oil burns horribly. I could not tolerate putting it up my nose, even when diluted. Perhaps I did not dilute it enough. I decided instead to try grapeseed extract diluted and it felt much better. FWIW I do not not have nasal polyps as far as I know. I just have recurrent sinusitis and nasal pain from allergies, or sometimes no reason.

ukxmrv

I put tea tree oil and sea salt in my Grossan irrigator for sinus infections. Does really help but very diluted in water.

Glad to hear it is helping your polyp!

Rand56

Thanks for the warnings maryb and SOC. Always good to be cautious. At first I did dilute the the TTO and it wasn't uncomfortable at all. I even did it full strength on the Q-tip and it wasn't uncomfortable. Not saying anyone else should do this, just stating my experience.