• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

taurine for MCS?

Seadragon

I added Taurine to my regimen a couple months ago - my failry severe MCS has definitely improved but I also started Freddd's protocol at the same time so can't be sure which supplement has helped with the MCS (I suspect a combination).

I will continue to take Taurine though.

Love Esperanza x

Just to note, Heartfixer lists taurine as a supplement to avoid when you have a CBS mutation. Taurine is high in sulphur.

Taurine gave me migraines. My mcs is preventing me from using any of the methylations supplements. I am about to attempt them in minute quantities and hope they don't send me beserk (neuroexcitation).

Here is a article about NMDA antagonist. The supplement in question was hard to find 3 - 4 years ago, but is much easier now and appears to have favorable reviews for the most part. These reveiews are not related to our conditions in any way, but are geared more towards fitness improvements. I took it for awhile and and a positive reaction, but nothing major. It would probably would have been better in my case after methylation was started and was in an upward trend.

It is actually a byproduct of some sorts from L-Arginine, but it appears to be considered a neurotransmitter by some. It is called Agmatine and as you will read that it can have a strong effect on NMDA due to it is not blocked by certain actions. I really wish someone that really could look into this that has the knowledge of real effect and look for different sources of information as I certainly would not base it on this one. Hopefuly it may be of some help if it turns out to be something you wish to try, but please get more information before doing so.

http://neurotransmitter.net/neardeath.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2922054/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2922054/

For those who have more interest in Agmatine
I'd curious to have it IV.

Attachments

• Agmatine (decarboxylated L-arginine)- Physiological role and therapeutic potential.pdf
    609.2 KB · Views: 5

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
http://www.iherb.com/Anabolic-Innovations-AI-Sports-Nutrition-Agmatine-120-Capsules/43768
Agmatine is derived from arginine, a primary amino acid. Agmatine acts as a neurotransmitter to induce production of growth hormone, nitric oxide, creatine and protein; decrease blood glucose levels; and aid in the removal of nitrogen waste products from the body. A report in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences indicates that agmatine is capable of preventing and treating spinal cord injuries, inflammation and neuropathy; however, every exogenous supplement has some side effects associated with use or overuse.
Gastrointestinal Disturbances

The patent for agmatine-containing products indicates that only three of the trial participants reported gastrointestinal disruptions at low doses. Those disruptions included diarrhea, nausea and vomiting that began after two days of taking agmatine and continued until treatment ceased. Only one of the people experiencing these problems dropped out of the clinical trial because of the discomfort caused by agmatine.
Neuropathy Treatment Clinically Proven To Heal Nerves. 92% Success Rate. Free Sample! www.NeuropathyTreatmentGroup.com
Sponsored Links
Lower Pain Threshold

A study published in the "European Journal of Pharmacology" indicated that large doses of agmatine actually lowered the overall pain threshold even though low doses improved overall response to chronic pain. Rats were utilized to determine if agmatine was capable of improving the response to acute pain from a new injury at low doses. Unfortunately, agmatine appears to have little ability to limit acute pain, even though the same dose appeared to stop pain perception from old injuries.
Neurotoxicity

Agmatine is a low-affinity N-methyl-D-aspartate, or NMDA, antagonist; thus, the threat of neurotoxicity is possible although extremely unlikely. According to agmatine's patent information, it has a 500,000-times lower affinity for NMDA receptors than typical antagonists. A report in "Science" indicates that NMDA antagonists may produce hallucinations, and they have been shown to cause morphological changes in the cerebral cortex of rats.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/275087-agmatine-side-effects/#ixzz27TxbCWRA

Wayne

I wonder why your MCS would get worse with methylation supps. It should get better as you build glutathione. I don't understand how any of the other supps or meds you mentioned would help with MCS.

MCS is caused by a lack of glutathione in the liver. For every toxin molecule you breathe, eat, or absorb through your skin, your liver gives up one glutathione molecule. If you have enough glutathione, you'll be able to tolerate the substance. If not, you react to even tiny amounts of toxins that wouldn't bother any normal person, thus exhibiting MCS.

Hi @caledonia,

I recently ran across a well done 13-min. YouTube video by a former dentist and CFS sufferer who is now a Naturopath. Starting at about the 5:20-minute mark, she mentions how the liver and friendly bacteria in the body convert inorganic mercury into organic mercury (which is apparently 100-1000 times more harmful to the body). Seems like a plausible explanation as to why some people fare so poorly when taking high quality probiotics.

I wonder if this could explain why some people feel worse when successfully improving their methylation. Perhaps in an attempt to detoxify inorganic mercury, the liver converts it to organic mercury creating even more toxicity. This is one reason I've been interested in MMS recently. Some proponents claim chlorine dioxide can break mercury down into it's constituents parts (or something like that), making it far easier to detoxify. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

CFS & Fibromyalgia: The Natural Recovery Plan

@dannybex

Last edited:

Wayne

I thought I'd post this list of taurine benefits which I recently ran across. If taurine does calm excitable nerves (and brain), I can see where it could ease some of the symptoms of MCS.

Taurine: Bountiful Benefits
  • Taurine is the most abundant amino acid around; it is found throughout the body, but especially in tissues containing excitable cells, like nerves and heart muscle – Borrelia’s favorite hang-outs.
  • Evidence suggests that certain groups with the longest life spans consume higher amounts of taurine than those of us in the rest of the world.
  • Taurine supplementation can prevent diabetes and obesity in animal models (and apparently in people too), and can mitigate the effects of both conditions in humans.
  • Taurine protects retinal and inner ear cells from damage, normalizing the flow of calcium ions they require for proper function.
  • Taurine enhances energy – a desperate need for those of us who suffer with chronic Lyme disease.
Here's the rest of the taurine I found:
According to the article, taurine has powerful effects on the heart and blood vessels. People with higher levels of taurine have significantly lower rates of dying from coronary heart disease. Additionally, they have lower body mass index, lower blood pressure, and lower levels of dangerous lipids. Many different mechanisms account for these powerful effects on the heart and blood vessels.

In animal models of hypertension, taurine supplementation lowers blood pressure by reducing the resistance to blood flow in the blood vessel walls and by minimizing nerve impulses in the brain that drive blood pressure up. This can have a very positive effect for those who suffer from migraines (Lyme-induced or not.)

Ian says that oral taurine supplementation has been found to reduce the arterial thickening and stiffness characteristic of atherosclerosis, to restore arteries’ responses to reduce inflammation (a direct contributor to cardiovascular disease).

A study of patients needing coronary bypass surgery showed that consuming a liquid drink containing 3 grams of taurine, combined with 3 grams carnitine, 150 mg CoQ10, and basic multivitamin nutrients, reduced left-sided ventricular volume during the heart’s resting phase (diastole). It would seem to me that this would be an excellent starting point for dosing in a Lyme protocol.

As anyone with chronic Lyme can tell you, the eyes and ears are often compromised in a variety of painful and annoying symptoms. From extreme light sensitivity to progressively worsening eye-sight (including floaters and even retina damage!)

Taurine is especially vital when it comes to eye health. Adequate levels can help prevent vision loss; conversely, a deficiency can lead to troubling vision problems. Vision loss has many different causes. We know spirochetes thrive in the fluids surrounding the eyes, but the exact method Borrelia uses to drill into the eye is not clear due to lack of research.

However, age-related vision loss has been thoroughly researched and one of the main causes for age-related vision loss is due to the impact of oxidative stress on light-sensing cells in the retina. Such damage leads to macular degeneration and other forms of retinal disease. It would not be a far stretch to associate the painful light sensitivity suffered in many with chronic Lyme disease may relate to taurine deficiency as well.Taurine should be found in very high concentrations in the retina, however it can declines significantly with age. So it is very exciting to learn that taurine supplementation has been found to fight oxidative stress in the retina, and helps restore deficient levels of nerve growth required for maintaining visual health.

Another debilitating symptom of acute and/or chronic Lyme disease is audio-sensitivity, hearing loss, pain in and around the ears (even the cartilage in the outer ear) and tinnitus. Taurine plays a vital role in healing hearing problems. In fact, studies have found that in some cases, taurine can reverse the biochemical processes behindhearing loss. Other studies have demonstrated that taurine can almost completely eliminate the ringing in the ears associated with tinnitus.

Ian writes, “Much of the damage to hearing occurs not in the mechanical parts of the ear, but rather in the nerve cells that convert sound waves into the electrical energy that is perceived in our brains. Like other nerve cells, these so-called “hair cells” depend on the flow of calcium ions into and out of the cell. Taurine helps restore and control normal calcium ion flow in auditory cells.”

TAURINE: ONE OF THE MOST ESSENTIAL SUBSTANCES IN THE BODY! In addition to all the above, taurine:
  • increases the action of insulin, improving glucose tolerance, and acting as an antioxidant.
  • vital for the proper function of the minerals potassium, calcium, magnesium, and sodium.
  • regulates heart rhythm, cardiac contraction, blood pressure, and platelet aggregation, and regulates the excitability of neurons.
  • detoxifies liver cells of various toxins.
  • helps form bile acids and maintains cell membrane stability.
  • reduces the synthesis of lipids and cholesterol.

Last edited:

caledonia

Hi @caledonia,

I recently ran across a well done 13-min. YouTube video by a former dentist and CFS sufferer who is now a Naturopath. Starting at about the 5:20-minute mark, she mentions how the liver and friendly bacteria in the body convert inorganic mercury into organic mercury (which is apparently 100-100 times more harmful to the body). Seems like a plausible explanation as to why some people fare so poorly when taking high quality probiotics.

I wonder if this could explain why some people feel worse when successfully improving their methylation. Perhaps in an attempt to detoxify inorganic mercury, the liver converts it to organic mercury creating even more toxicity. This is one reason I've been interested in MMS recently. Some proponents claim chlorine dioxide can break mercury down into it's constituents parts (or something like that), making it far easier to detoxify. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

CFS & Fibromyalgia: The Natural Recovery Plan

@dannybex

Great video explaining the mechanisms of mercury in the body. I do ok with probiotics, but do get that "run over by a truck feeling" when increasing methylation or detoxing metals. I've heard not good things about MMS.

Rand56

http://www.iherb.com/Anabolic-Innovations-AI-Sports-Nutrition-Agmatine-120-Capsules/43768
Agmatine is derived from arginine, a primary amino acid. Agmatine acts as a neurotransmitter to induce production of growth hormone, nitric oxide, creatine and protein; decrease blood glucose levels; and aid in the removal of nitrogen waste products from the body. A report in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences indicates that agmatine is capable of preventing and treating spinal cord injuries, inflammation and neuropathy; however, every exogenous supplement has some side effects associated with use or overuse.
Gastrointestinal Disturbances

The patent for agmatine-containing products indicates that only three of the trial participants reported gastrointestinal disruptions at low doses. Those disruptions included diarrhea, nausea and vomiting that began after two days of taking agmatine and continued until treatment ceased. Only one of the people experiencing these problems dropped out of the clinical trial because of the discomfort caused by agmatine.
Neuropathy Treatment Clinically Proven To Heal Nerves. 92% Success Rate. Free Sample! www.NeuropathyTreatmentGroup.com

Sponsored Links
Lower Pain Threshold

A study published in the "European Journal of Pharmacology" indicated that large doses of agmatine actually lowered the overall pain threshold even though low doses improved overall response to chronic pain. Rats were utilized to determine if agmatine was capable of improving the response to acute pain from a new injury at low doses. Unfortunately, agmatine appears to have little ability to limit acute pain, even though the same dose appeared to stop pain perception from old injuries.
Neurotoxicity

Agmatine is a low-affinity N-methyl-D-aspartate, or NMDA, antagonist; thus, the threat of neurotoxicity is possible although extremely unlikely. According to agmatine's patent information, it has a 500,000-times lower affinity for NMDA receptors than typical antagonists. A report in "Science" indicates that NMDA antagonists may produce hallucinations, and they have been shown to cause morphological changes in the cerebral cortex of rats.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/275087-agmatine-side-effects/#ixzz27TxbCWRA

hi Heaps

I take agmatine and I think it's great! I take it mainly as a pre-workout supplement. It's great for pumps in the gym, but it also remarkably reduces muscle soreness too. I'm not as fatigued after a workout either.

Rand