• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tapering off Gabapentin

Hello I am trying to get advice for how to taper off of 300mg of gabapentin. I have taken 300mg a night for 4 months. I am also currently taking 18mg of Valium a day. I want to taper off the gabapentin so I do not get bad withdrawal symptoms. I would appreciate some advice. Or maybe someone can share their experience how the came off of gabapentin?

caledonia

I have a lot experience tapering off Zoloft. All psych drugs or drugs that require tapering can use the same method. The safest method is to taper 10% of the previous dose every 3-6 weeks. Since you've only been on for 4 months, the rule is to not take any longer to taper than you were on the drug.

So 4 months (16 weeks) would give you about 5 reductions. So I would suggest doing a trial of reducing by 1/5 (20%) for 3 weeks and see how it goes. If you tolerate it ok, then continue with that. If not, you can reinstate and get stable, then restart with a much slower taper (the 10% one).

The idea is to make it comfortable enough that you can live with the withdrawal symptoms for several months. Some people are especially sensitive, and need longer. It's ok, you'll get there sooner or later.

If you ever decide to get off the Valium, you would do something similar.

ps. I got this information from the Paxil Progress forum. They're great if you need support coming off psych drugs.

Thanks Caledonia, I have just reduced by 10% for the last few days. I have heard taking magnesium supplements help with the withdrawal symptoms.

Enid

Hi Bobsq - I came off Gabapentin with a higher dose than yours by gradually reducing the daily amount over a period of about 2 weeks if I recall correctly. There were no repercussions in any way - and no withdrawal symptoms at all - I was rather pleased not to have to rely on it for pain and sleep relief afterwards.

bel canto

My experience was similar to Enid's. As I had initially gone from 0 to 1800 over 3-4 weeks, I just reversed the process, without any noticeable withdrawal.

Boule de feu

I did that. I asked my GP to prescribe 50 mg pills instead of the usual 150.
I lowered by 50 mg for the first three weeks and again for the next three weeks, and so forth.
It went like a charm.

The trick is to go slow. No rush. Take your time.

Has anyone used a scale for tapering capsules containing beads or powder. I have a Gemini scale that measures down to.001 gm. I have 400mg capsules of Neurontin. I also bought 500 empty gelatin capsules from Amazon. Each capsule weighs .091gms. What I want to do is open up the neurontin capsule and remove powder from it to the empty gelatin capsule. For example I weighed the 400mg Neurontin capsule and it weighs .624gms. So if I want to get a 200mg capsule I would pour or transfer .312mg of the neurontin into the empty capsule. So the original Neurontin would be 200mg and the gelatin capsule would be 200mg. By using math I should be able to get any dosage in mg I want by setting up a proportion 400/.624 = 270gm/x weight
So If I want 270gms so .624*270 =400*Xweight So 168.48=400* Xgms So 168.48/400=.421 gms So .421 gms would give me a capsule of 270mg Neurontin and the gelatin capsule I poured the neurontin powder would be 400-270=130mg. I think I am doing this the right way but I just wanted an opinion if anyone had tried this or thinks there is a better way. All I have are 400mg and 300mg capsules of Neurontin. I have never done Titration or used anything other than a scale to taper