• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tap Water: Any Bad Reactions?

slayadragon

Recently I had a bad reaction to some tap water in the northern Chicago suburbs. So I started looking into contaminants in the water.

What I found was that while most water in this suburb came from a spot far out on Lake Michigan where supposedly the water was somewhat more pure, they had a "secondary source" closer to shore. They admit that this secondary source is often affected by cyanobacteria.

Unfortunately, some strains of cyanobacteria create a toxin similar to the ones that toxic mold makes. And most purification techniques do not remove it from the water.

The interesting thing was that the water in this suburb didn't always bother me. On this particular occasion though, I got quite sick (and for several days afterwards) as a result.

Does anyone else have a belief or a hunch that tap water might be a problem for them?

Thanks much for your help.

Best, Lisa

willow

Lisa,

My Dad has an inflammatory reaction to his tap water supply, even if only drizzled on his hands. He was able to rerpicate this with his GPs water supply.

A small part of my degree encompassed the geography of health. An approximate recollection regarding the water supply of the city I studied in, was that there were 6 different resevoirs supplying different parts of the city. In one district the incidence of pancreatitis was 6x that of the other 5 areas and this was found to correspond to the water supply area. can't recall the details, if the water from the district with high pancreatitis was analyed etc.
Personally I have had pretty severe inflammation with a particular (glass) bottled water.

*GG*

Lisa,

My Dad has an inflammatory reaction to his tap water supply, even if only drizzled on his hands. He was able to rerpicate this with his GPs water supply.

A small part of my degree encompassed the geography of health. An approximate recollection regarding the water supply of the city I studied in, was that there were 6 different resevoirs supplying different parts of the city. In one district the incidence of pancreatitis was 6x that of the other 5 areas and this was found to correspond to the water supply area. can't recall the details, if the water from the district with high pancreatitis was analyed etc.
Personally I have had pretty severe inflammation with a particular (glass) bottled water.

Wow, scary!

*GG*

Recently I had a bad reaction to some tap water in the northern Chicago suburbs. So I started looking into contaminants in the water.

What I found was that while most water in this suburb came from a spot far out on Lake Michigan where supposedly the water was somewhat more pure, they had a "secondary source" closer to shore. They admit that this secondary source is often affected by cyanobacteria.

Unfortunately, some strains of cyanobacteria create a toxin similar to the ones that toxic mold makes. And most purification techniques do not remove it from the water.

The interesting thing was that the water in this suburb didn't always bother me. On this particular occasion though, I got quite sick (and for several days afterwards) as a result.

Does anyone else have a belief or a hunch that tap water might be a problem for them?

Thanks much for your help.

Best, Lisa

I know you are very knowledgable on CFIDS and I would imagine your body. But I was wondering how you concluded it was the water?

When I first saw your headline, I was thinking the Ciguatera Toxin. A lawyer I am working with seems to think the Virus will not work out, he is more inclined to think the Ciguatera and I think EMF etc is our problem. Although, he stated that he is a lawyer and not a scientist/researcher. Hope you feel better and figure this out!