• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tagamet/Cimetidine - anyone have bad reactions to it?

Strawberry

I had read about the mtor thing and that tagamet helps. I've been on ranitidine/zantac for MCAS and have no issues (even though they have food coloring, it doesn't seem to affect me) but thought I would give this a try. I need to talk to Dr K before trialing, but I want to know if anyone here has had bad side effects to it? Anything I should know?

Jennifer J

Hi, @Strawberry. I was on Tagamet/Cimetidine for years for my angioedema. I had no problems with it. My doctor did want me to switch to another H2 because (off the top of my head I don't have the exact reason for it, hopefully you'll know what it's about anyways) of Cimetidine and P450. I don't remember what P450 is and I haven't been able to read about mtor yet (perhaps the P450 is involved in it?).

The only reason I switched to Ranitidine was because they changed the inactive ingredients in Cimetidine which I couldn't do. I don't recall any changes in my health from the switch. I'll have to check out old notes some day to see if anything changed and what I might be able to attribute to the H2 switch.

It will be good to hear how this goes for you if you do it (let us know if you can and are up for it), also what Dr. K says, and good to hear anyone else's answer to your question.

jpcv

Hi, @Strawberry. I was on Tagamet/Cimetidine for years for my angioedema. I had no problems with it. My doctor did want me to switch to another H2 because (off the top of my head I don't have the exact reason for it, hopefully you'll know what it's about anyways) of Cimetidine and P450. I don't remember what P450 is and I haven't been able to read about mtor yet (perhaps the P450 is involved in it?).

The only reason I switched to Ranitidine was because they changed the inactive ingredients in Cimetidine which I couldn't do. I don't recall any changes in my health from the switch. I'll have to check out old notes some day to see if anything changed and what I might be able to attribute to the H2 switch.

It will be good to hear how this goes for you if you do it (let us know if you can and are up for it), also what Dr. K says, and good to hear anyone else's answer to your question.

Hi @Jennifer J , P450 refers to enzymes that metabolize lots of drugs, Cimetidine intrferes with P450 and the way drugs act in our bodies, ranitidine is easier to use in that regard.

gregh286

hi jennifer,
do you still use ranitidine over tagamet for angioedema.
I can get ranitidine OTC here in UK, but not tagamet.
When I get angio attack, I get very bad fluey symptoms also.
Its also pretty tied to my CFS, more angioedema=more CFS.
thanks!