• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tagamet as an H2 Blocker

I haven't posted in awhile because I have been about the same. I have a doc who prescribed me Valtrex about a year ago which helped quite a bit I went from generally lying flat on the couch or in bed feeling flu-like to functioning with lots of fatigue. Then we switched to Famvir and celebrex - no change. I quit the Celebrex after three months because I didn't like the side effects I had read about and it didn't seem to make a difference. So my wife read about Tagamet (H2 antagonist) and gave it to me and I feel slightly better - more energy, very little flu-like symptoms or headaches - I did physical labor last week and then had company for a weekend and actually felt pretty good (for me). Not normal, but a bit better.
I thought I would share in case anyone else wants to try it. I read some old forums on here, where the effects didn't last, but I'll take some good days where I can get them.
She bought it at Target for about $15 and I started at 200 mg once a day and then 200mg twice a day, today I took three. I'm also still taking the Famvir and AHCC along with a bunch of other supplements that I question if I even need to take them. Also, I use a TENS Unit daily (great for back pain).
I am so glad these forums are here, I learn so much from all of you. Thanks.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@PGHCFS - I'm really glad the Tagamet helped you. My doctor told me to try it 5 or 6 years ago for my immune system. Unfortunately, it made me depressed, gave me a very dark mood. I looked it up and sure enough, that was a possible "side effect". So just wanted you to be aware of this possibility, but hopefully it will keep helping you!

Have you looked into inosine? It's supposed to help the immune system plus help with oxygenation and fatigue. It did boost my energy without any bad side effects.

Hi Mary,
Yes, I have taken inosine with good results. I was taking inosine and Equilibrant for many months and did well on those, but then had a downturn. I started on antivirals and stopped both the Equilibrant and inosine. I may try adding inosine back in at some point, but for now I will stick with the famvir/tagamet combo. I'm sorry it didn't work for you.
Thankfully, I haven't ever had issues with depression, so hopefully that won't be a problem for me.
Thanks! Greg