• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

syncope in er

Kati

Patient in training
ok then what dose has been helpful to you guys?
Personally Icdo not use electrolyte drinks. i used to. But I make sure I add salt to my food. I eat salty food.
If things get pretty bad, I buy a bottle of pedialyte, which is electrolyte rich, it doesn't taste that good, but you can mix it with orange juice.
Another idea is to get vegetable cocktail and add some salt- maybe pepper too :cool: (I'd skip the alcohol)

Gingergrrl

I usually take two salt stick tablets at a time in addition to adding salt to my food. I used to drink Pedialyte prior to getting MCAS but am now allergic to all food dyes so this is out. But if not an issue, you can drink Pedialyte or Vitalyte, etc.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I used to drink Pedialyte prior to getting MCAS but am now allergic to all food dyes so this is out. But if not an issue, you can drink Pedialyte or Vitalyte, etc.
I just looked at my stash of Pedialyte and it doesn't have any dyes in it. Did you ever try the unflavored?

nope usually get the blue advanced care its good after I got passed the syrup texture. And I try and do a few liters but I can't keep from peeing it out and that does me no good.

Kati

Patient in training
By all means, drinking electrolyte drinks will not change the fact that your nervous system is wonky. It can make a difference for some. That is my opinion anyways.

Gingergrrl

I just looked at my stash of Pedialyte and it doesn't have any dyes in it. Did you ever try the unflavored?

I actually did not try the unflavored and used to drink the Blue one (b/c it was the most tolerable) before I became deathly allergic to food dyes. For now I drink Penta water with salt sticks and also one brand of coconut water that I tolerate (b/c it has a lot of Potassium.)

Gingergrrl

i was asking about salt sticks cuz it say like 2 every 30 min you work out.

I find that I can take a lot more than that b/c my electrolytes are usually low and any movement I do is like a work-out LOL.

ETA: Sorry I don't mean two every 30 minutes all day long, just to clarify. But I take at least AM and PM doses.

halcyon

And I try and do a few liters but I can't keep from peeing it out and that does me no good.
If you do feel like you're urinating a lot, when you see the endocrinologist it may not be a bad idea to ask for a workup for diabetes insipidus and diabetes mellitus. Both could be associated with syncope.

well I've already taken the a1c blood test for diabetes it was 5.2 the lowest on the scale. But I plan on seeing one for andrenal stuff since Addison disease if a possiblity

anciendaze

On dosage: all of us here are special cases. I have no idea what anyone will need or tolerate, even on common medications. The only safe thing to do, with any medication, is always to start low and titrate up to a level that provides benefits without noticeable side effects. For the most part starting low means 1/2 a recommended dose, but with several things it has turned out to be 1/4 dose. If it takes longer to get relief from symptoms, that is just the price of caution. A single bad reaction is enough to teach this lesson. Afraid I took longer to catch on.

Incidentally, the SaltStick capsules with caffeine that Gingergrrl warned against are called SaltStick Plus and are sold in bottles with green lids. You can't depend on the color of the bottle itself. I have some regular SaltStick in a brown bottle with a black lid, while those in the advertising show a blue bottle. When I checked that my capsules did not contain caffeine I ran into a problem because the price tag covered the list of ingredients. It pays to check carefully. Most people may tolerate this, but you are clearly not most people.

Just as reassurance, I'm willing to bet you do not meet the clinical definition of Addison's disease. Go ahead with testing, but don't anticipate the worst.

Gingergrrl

Incidentally, the SaltStick capsules with caffeine that Gingergrrl warned against are called SaltStick Plus and are sold in bottles with green lids. You can't depend on the color of the bottle itself. I have some regular SaltStick in a brown bottle with a black lid, while those in the advertising show a blue bottle.

@anciendaze How weird! When I order them on Amazon, they always arrive in a blue bottle and have no caffeine. My husband used to buy them at a local bike shop before we realized they were available on Amazon. I have never seen a brown bottle with a black lid. Are you sure it is the same brand?

anciendaze

@anciendaze How weird! When I order them on Amazon, they always arrive in a blue bottle and have no caffeine. My husband used to buy them at a local bike shop before we realized they were available on Amazon. I have never seen a brown bottle with a black lid. Are you sure it is the same brand?
Just checked, and found that it looks blue if I hold it in front of a bright light. My mistake.