• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Symptoms worse after drinking filter water

tinacarroll27

Hi all!! I have recently been thinking of buying a water filter system. A friend of mine has a BERKEY filter and thinks it's great so I was thinking of getting one. I have had a water filter system before that was plumbed in and it used a carbon filter and I couldn't drink it without it making me crash. I would get dizzy and feel really ill after drinking and that never happened with bottle water I get from the shops. So I have been cautious about getting another one but bottle water is so expensive over time. I have recently been trying the water from the BERKEY from my friend and it uses carbon as well and the same thing happened I started to feel ill. What is going on? Why can't I tolerate carbon?Has anyone else got this problem?

Wonkmonk

Does it filter out calcium and magnesium?

I have made the experience that electrolytes can make a huge difference for me, e.g. calcium supplements make me much worse.

If you drink large amounts of water with a very low electrolyte content, you are putting the electrolytes in your blood off balance. Usually, this is no problem and the body quickly adjusts, but given how much trouble I (and others) have with electrolytes, one might suspect that your body can't tolerate it very well if the electrolytes in your blood are out of balance.

Aerose91

I also have huge electrolyte problems and something as simple as drinking straight water can cause me all sorts of havoc. Magnesium gives me difficulties and potassium is usually a toss up. Salt is good in the right amounts.
Do they know what the mechanism acting here is?

Wonkmonk

But then what is it that it is filtering out? There is almost no sodium and potassium in tap water. I can't think of much else you can filter out of tap water...

tinacarroll27

But then what is it that it is filtering out? There is almost no sodium and potassium in tap water.
Berkey Water Filters can remove

• Fluoride - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Viruses – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Pathogenic Bacteria - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Lead - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Arsenic - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Iron - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Mercury - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Chlorine - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Trihalomethane(THMs) – Removed to greater than 99.8%.
  • Bisphenol-A - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Chloramines - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Pharmaceuticals - Removed to greater than 99.5%.
  • Petroleum Contaminants - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Methylcycohexane-methane - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Pesticides - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Heavy Metals -Removed to greater than 99.1%.
  • Coliform and e-Coli -Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Atrazine - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Uranium - Removed to greater than 97.0%.
  • Gross Alpha emitters - Removed to greater than 98.7%.
berkey-systems-comparison_grande.jpg

Wonkmonk

That's strange, the only thing I see on that list that might have a positive function in the body is fluoride.

Does it put anything into the water while filtering?