• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Switching from Famvir to Valcyte.

I have been on famvir for about 3 yrs now and valcuye the last 12 months. I havent had any issues with toxicity, all my liver/kidney function tests come back normal. I do think NAC has helped with this as its used in hospitals for drug overdoses to protect the liver, especially from paracetamol overdose.

i took a product called "liver detoxifier and regenerator" (NOW products) in the past. It contains milk thistle, gluthation, NAC, grape seed, L-carnitine, dandelion and a proprietry blend of herbs. I'm thinking of starting on it again. I tollerated it very well in the past and perhaps it can support our liver while on AV's?

I'm also thinking of starting coQ10 again. And perhaps adding some turmeric too?

I started yesterday on the 2400 mg aciclovir and I'll wait a week or so to see how I react. If all goes well, I'll add the imunovir.

Keeping fingers crossed for all of us ! :)

anniekim

I still think Valcytes sometimes horrible side effects are from the toxicity of the drug and not "die off." I have never had "die off" symptoms from Famvir. Im now doing Acyclovir 800 mg twice a day with food. My doc seems to think that this is as effective or more effective than Valcyte but without the harmful side effects. The whole thing is confusing but I like to throw in my two cents from time to time on this subject. I had a horrible reaction to Valcyte that I didnt think I would recover from. I WISH we had a better anti viral available to us!!! My plan is to keep the virus at bay with Acylovir at a high dose until something better is approved. Arent there some in the pipeline that Peterson is doing clinical trials on??

Hi Michelle,

I am wondering how you are doing now you have been on the acyclovir for a bit longer since you wrote on this thread? Also re reading through the thread I am a little confused at what dose you are on, as on Nov 29 you said you were taking 800mg a day, but in a post on the 3 Dec you said you are taking 1600mg twice daily? Hope it's ok to ask and many thanks for your time. Really hope you are doing as ok as possible

m1she11e

Hi Michelle,

I am wondering how you are doing now you have been on the acyclovir for a bit longer since you wrote on this thread? Also re reading through the thread I am a little confused at what dose you are on, as on Nov 29 you said you were taking 800mg a day, but in a post on the 3 Dec you said you are taking 1600mg twice daily? Hope it's ok to ask and many thanks for your time. Really hope you are doing as ok as possible

Im sorry but I havent been on here much. Also sorry if I confused you with the dosing information. I am on 1,600 mg twice a day. Im not sure if the Acyclovir is helping me or not. To be clear, I was better before I ever started any anti virals at all. When I stop now I feel worse than when I ever started. I feel like I have to be on some kind of an anti viral to not go backwards.

When I was with my doctor the other day he said he was surprised I had no improvement on the Acyclovir. He said he is getting "better results than he did when prescribing Valcyte."

Not sure this helped...