• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

.:: Sustained-release Methylation Protocol (SRMP) ::.

Gondwanaland

Yes, those are the genes. The SNPs would have been too long to post.

i do not like the +/- designation because it adds another layer. I use the A C T G instead.
If I understand it right you look them up in the Promethease report and then search for the cofactors at UniProt?

How about when infections hinder the proper absorption/functioning of the right co-factors? Many people just don't tolerate the supplements they need to take. Some members go for "bolus dosing" to pass through the parasites, others can't tolerate it at all. Did you do any anti-parasite protocol yourself?

ppodhajski

If I understand it right you look them up in the Promethease report and then search for the cofactors at UniProt?

How about when infections hinder the proper absorption/functioning of the right co-factors? Many people just don't tolerate the supplements they need to take. Some members go for "bolus dosing" to pass through the parasites, others can't tolerate it at all. Did you do any anti-parasite protocol yourself?

Yes, that is correct, Uniprot will show the cofactors.

I know what I am going to say is controversial but it proved true with me. I do not believe people are suffering from parasites or bacteria. I think it all oxidative stress. I though I had an infection of some kind and had every kind of test but the all turned up negative; from h pylori to stool samples to parasite tests. I had bad IBS-D and dysbiosis.I tried many things including antibiotics. But just using my cofactors

Regardless, the B vitamins I take are sublingual so that takes care of those worries if you have them.

But for all this belief that parasites and bacteria are causing these issues no one ever seems to get rid of them.

ppodhajski

Some supplements that "cleanse" the liver release and/or feed infections like candida
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/candida-biofilms-theory-protocol.25472/
NAC, malic acid, inositol, enzymes, etc

The candida on my tongue went away when I did what I did as well. I think for me, however, it was my Biotinidase SNP.
http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/1764357

NAC should never be used. Ever. Nor malic acid or inositol. If you take these and you have SNPs that cannot handle them you will feel like poop. NAC and Inositol were two that were bad for me. The NAC made me make too many sulfites and the inositol made me feel like I was on speed.

As far as that link goes, I fail to believe we have to do something that complicated to heal. The body knows more than we do, we just need to assist it gently.

Again, if all these people were right they would be getting better.

Gondwanaland

I think for me, however, it was my Biotinidase SNP.
http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/1764357
There are a few threads here about it. I tried looking into it, but got nowhere.
NAC should never be used. Ever. Nor malic acid or inositol. If you take these and you have SNPs that cannot handle them you will feel like poop. NAC and Inositol were two that were bad for me. The NAC made me make too many sulfites and the inositol made me feel like I was on speed.
I had so many hopes for inositol after I took 50mg and felt amazing, but could never repeat it, on the contrary.

Valentijn

I know what I am going to say is controversial but it proved true with me. I do not believe people are suffering from parasites or bacteria. I think it all oxidative stress.
That's an interesting belief, but many here have tested positive for reactivated viruses or chronic bacterial infections. In my case, I have Lyme and Bartonella, probably dating back 20 years to when I was living in rural Oklahoma and had hundreds of tick bites. Several symptoms started then, though most progressed somewhat through the years, until a viral illness and onset of constant and disabling ME/SEID symptoms. Treatment is still underway, but has been helpful thus far.
Many studies contradict your advice. NAC has been studied long-term in HIV patients, and has had some beneficial effects with no appreciable side-effects, even at relatively high doses. Anecdotally, it resolves my "wired" cognitive issues, and accordingly has resolved my sleep issues.

It's important to recognize that your personal experiences cannot be universally applied, especially when contradicted by superior evidence.

ebethc

ebethc

Many studies contradict your advice. NAC has been studied long-term in HIV patients, and has had some beneficial effects with no appreciable side-effects, even at relatively high doses. Anecdotally, it resolves my "wired" cognitive issues, and accordingly has resolved my sleep issues.

My body loves NAC & ALA.... I know that NAC is supposed to raise glutathione; do you know of any other ways to do this?
BTW - I cannot tolerate ANY form of glutathione supplementation... I experimented w that last year and had bad results, and even a crash or two...I believe this is true for a lot of people.
thanks.

Valentijn

My body loves NAC & ALA.... I know that NAC is supposed to raise glutathione; do you know of any other ways to do this?
Sorry, NAC is the only way I know of, aside from taking glutathione directly. Though some people do better with glycine instead of, or in addition to NAC.

Gondwanaland

MAF14

Sorry, NAC is the only way I know of, aside from taking glutathione directly. Though some people do better with glycine instead of, or in addition to NAC.

Do you believe Freddd's theory that supplements like NAC/glutamine deplete B-vitamins like folate and B-12?

Avalon

@Sherpa, good post, where did you get the info for B2 : I'm having major problems with methyfolate, folinic acid, even at very small doses.
  • The most common reason for people to respond poorly to methylfolate is vitamin B2 deficiency

Also I have identical symptoms to you cited below, did you still have take additional B2 over and above the 'basic package'? I'm a little excited about this, this could be the missing link for me.
  • I experienced dry mouth, sudden awakening at night (insomnia), muscle jerking, tingling in arms and legs. I found these symptoms resolved with continued B2 supplementation.

Last edited:

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
@Avalon For me B2 deficency was a key factor in creating a methylation roadlock / trainwreck.

I got my levels up as described in my post. I think it took about 3 weeks. Then I could take methylfolate and - it would create a soothing feeling of glutathinone and neurotransmitter boost... rather than the awful feelings of anxiety, inflammation and insomnia.

I continue to take enough B2 to make sure my urine stays yellow. I presently take a little 3x a day, just in case. Its cheap and didn't give me side effects.

I have since moved on and now take a different regime than the one described in this post - now that I can tolerate methylation supplements I am free to experiment - but this was the recipe that got me methylating properly and wanted to share it.

ebethc

As Valentjin noted, combining NAC with other glutathione-promoting substances seems to work well. I experienced benefits a few years back by combining glycine, glutamine, and NAC.

My body really seems to like glutamine - plus, it helps brain fog (wish i understood the mechanism here..)

However - doesn't glutamine increase GLUTAMATE? ... which I DON'T want..

thanks.