• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Surprising" Explanation --- Spiritual Purpose of the Arts

Wayne

I discovered the following in my WP files this morning, and thought I'd share it here. I was struck by it the first time I read it, and continue to be surprised whenever I revisit this concept; and I have to say I still don't quite grasp it. But I thought I'd share it here; perhaps some of the more creative/artistic among us on this board will understand it, and appreciate it.

Have a nice weekend everybody. :)

Wayne

From: Youth Ask a Modern Prophet about Life, Love, and God, p 177.

What is the spiritual purpose of the arts: writing, painting, music, etc?

This answer will come as a shock to some beginning artists and to many advanced ones as well. What is the spiritual purpose of the arts? It is to learn structure.

Until an artist has a very clear idea of how small units combine to make larger objects in God's worlds, he or she will never produce any great art.

Once an artist creates a true structure, then divine love can pour into it and make it a living thing of beauty.

Such a poem, painting, story, or piece of music by a master artist helps people escape the grip of this material world and taste the joy of spiritual freedom. So always look to see how the very smallest things around you make up bigger things.

A master artist is always a scientist first.