• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplements cause sinus problems?

vamah

Didn't really know where else to post this question, but does anyone know of any suppliments that can cause or exacerbate sinus congestion. I am on antibiotics for a sinus infection and am feeling better during the day, but every evening my sinuses will suddenly swell shut. I take NAC, biotin and chlorella at night and am wondering if any of these could possibly be causing it. Hoping to find an answer so I can sleep at night. Thanks!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I just went through that and am dealing with gut issues from the Augmentin.

I don't know about the supplements but maybe there is something in one of them, or in the capsule that you have a problem with.

I am using Citricidal Nasal Spray that has grapefruit seed extract in it. Really opens things up.

I got it at www.pureformulas.com for really cheap.

vamah

I just went through that and am dealing with gut issues from the Augmentin.

I don't know about the supplements but maybe there is something in one of them, or in the capsule that you have a problem with.

I am using Citricidal Nasal Spray that has grapefruit seed extract in it. Really opens things up.

I got it at www.pureformulas.com for really cheap.

Thanks for the tip!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
It also occurred to me. Can you stop the supplements for even a day and see if you have the same problem? If you do, then it's not them.

If you don't, add them back one at a time.

Mink

vamah

It also occurred to me. Can you stop the supplements for even a day and see if you have the same problem? If you do, then it's not them.

If you don't, add them back one at a time.

Mink

Yeah, I was going to do that. It only just occurred to me that they may be causing the problem because I've been on abx for 3 days and usually my sinus infections get better by then.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I was on a 10 day course of Augmentin and I still don't think it's completely gone and now my gut is a mess.

I got the Citricidal to help since the grapefruit seed extract is an antibacterial.

What do you take for your sinus infections? This was my first one. It was horrible. The fatigue was so bad I couldn't believe it. On top of already being fatigued?

Mink

vamah

I have used augmentin. This time I am on zithromax. Fortunately, I tolerate abx pretty well. I also.have been using a saline nasal rinse, but is doesn't seem to do much good. Neither have OTC decongestants.

It does make you really tired. Partly from fighting the infection but also, I think, because its hard to breathe so you are working to get enough oxygen.

Hope you feel better soon. I just called my local vitamin store and they are holding the grapefruit seed nasal spray for me to pick up tonight. They had one left! :)

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I never had one before so i was shocked at the level of fatigue.

Once I got rid of the slamming headaches the only problem I had was the fatigue. I could breath fine.

Add antibiotics to my IBS and man, what a mess. I was already constipated and probiotics made it worse and the candida diet has no fiber.

Glad you found the nasal spray. It really lets things "flow".

Minks

sinus problems could be related to night time reflux and nausea can be a side effect of the supplements. Why not try taking them in the morning instead.

vamah

sinus problems could be related to night time reflux and nausea can be a side effect of the supplements. Why not try taking them in the morning instead.

Thanks for the idea, but I don't think that's it. I haven't had any nausea and my sinus flare ups happen before I lie down -- they just seem to come out of nowhere. I try to split up my supplements throughout the day because I take so many, but I am going to avoid taking any in the evening until my sinus problems resolve.

vamah

I never had one before so i was shocked at the level of fatigue.

Once I got rid of the slamming headaches the only problem I had was the fatigue. I could breath fine.

Add antibiotics to my IBS and man, what a mess. I was already constipated and probiotics made it worse and the candida diet has no fiber.

Glad you found the nasal spray. It really lets things "flow".

Minks

I am fortunate that I don't have any digestive problems to speak of. At least you are finished with the abx, so hopefully things will get better.

I remember the first time I got a sinus infection, I thought it was just a cold that was hanging around and waited way too long to go to the doctor.

My twins were 2 or 3 at the time and I could barely get up off the couch. It was awful.

I waited too long this time too. I didn't realize that since I have a real doctor now (instead of an HMO) he would trust me to know when I have a sinus infection and phone in the scrip without me having to go in to the office.

With the HMO it was always hit or miss whether they would help me. There aren't tests for sinus infections like for strep or a UTI, so it depended on the (questionable) judgement of the doc. I learned quickly to see nurse practitioners instead. They were always more trusting of my description of symptoms.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I suffered for a month with slamming headaches trying to figure it out. I thought it was a reaction to something I was taking.

Once I figured it out, I had a doc appointment in a month and I just didn't want to drag over there to see her PA so I waited.

She believed me so gave me the Augmentin. Because I never had one before I don't know if she would have given me abx over the phone.

The Citricidal spray has really helped me so hope it works for you too.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I do find that when the Citricidal breaks up the phlegm ball in the back of my throat I get nauseas but that just tells me there is gunk there. I think I would have the same problem with this spray.

I'm going to see a naturopath in 2 weeks and I'm going to ask her about what to use so I'll pass that on. Heaps talked about BEG spray in another thread so I'm going to ask about that too.

Mink

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
The citricidal spray was very helpful, thanks! I already chew nicorette gum, which I think is swwetened with xylitol.

Glad it worked. I'm still having problems. I hate to go back on antibiotics but I"ll see what the naturopath says. Heaps talks about BEG spray in another thread so I'll see about that.

vamah

Glad it worked. I'm still having problems. I hate to go back on antibiotics but I"ll see what the naturopath says. Heaps talks about BEG spray in another thread so I'll see about that.

You also might try a nasal rinse like Simply Saline. Salt kills bacteria and it has helped me in the past. Not with this infection but I think that's because I waited too long before I took it seriously.