• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplements, are they worth it?

vamah

Over the past year, I have been taking increasing numbers of supplements, which have become very expensive. At the same time, my symptoms have gotten worse. Aside from vitamin D, which I know I have a deficiency, I am wondering if any of these are worth the expense. Right now I take:

B50
Biotin
Iron
D
ALA
NAC
Omega 3
PS 100
Isocort
Chlorella

There's probably more that I can't remember right now.

Plum

I once took everything recommended to me. It never worked. I've found it better to spend my money are good quality organic veges and grassfed meat. I do supplement with probiotics, liver detox herbs and vit d but that's it. I spend about £20 a month on supplements.

rosie26

I would continue with the Omega fish oils, if you suffer with lots of inflammation. I find they are a noticeable help especially for the headaches, I just take 2 1000mg a day.

I am going to go onto a mineral supplement which has 26 minerals in base of sea water, as I just haven't got the head to work out taking minerals one by one and it is very expensive to do that. So at least I will get a wide variety of minerals in one go. And I will try to get my vitamins via food. Although next winter I am going to supplement Vit. D, as I always seem to be worse in winter than summer. x

ukxmrv

If your symptoms are getting worse you could consider stopping all the vitamins except for the ones that you have a proven deficiency in. My stomach rebels at vitamins now. It's been 25 years of taking various things and trying various protocols. I'm now down to the 2 or 3 that I take each day and others in reserve for a particular symptom that flares up every now and then.

For years I took evening primrose oil and then out of the blue, my stomach could no longer tolerate bit. I tried it in a liquid form thinking it was the tablets and was the same awful reaction. Stopping for a long time, then slowly adding a little was possible but only over time. Evening Primrose oil was one of the few things that helped with PMT.

Once you have stopped them, wait a couple of weeks and then write a list of things you are trying to target and slowly start adding them again. Sometimes it can be a reaction to a filler in a certain supplement that we cannot tolerate.