• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sunday Telegraph article on lyme

sarah darwins

duncan

Hmmm...20,000 cases in the US in 2014? Try over 300,000; that's more than a ten-fold off. Doesn't give me much confidence in the numbers cited for the UK.

Late Lyme reduced to some "neurological problems and joint pain" doesn't seem to do the disease justice...

Good that it's on the table, though, and being discussed as a growing threat in the UK.

sianrecovery

I don't know if this will work:

category
cid:94869E4E-C32A-4541-A929-1F3E493F012C

Antares in NYC

I don't know if this will work:

category
cid:94869E4E-C32A-4541-A929-1F3E493F012C

I think this may help, although I don't have a subscription:
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Health/article1618301.ece
Maybe someone can post a screenshot or copy/paste the article. ;)

Way to go, Sian! It must be difficult to open up about something so personal on a national newspaper, but I wanted to thank you for bringing attention to this disease and how much misery it brings. You are very brave, sincerely.

Last edited:

sianrecovery

Your caution is well-founded - I did two long interviews with the journalist, when truly wiped out, and made it clear - please do not characterise me as neurotic or suicidal. You can imagine my disappointment at opening the page and seeing a large picture of myself with the word 'suicidal' in the caption. Still, nice picture of the deer....

sarah darwins

Your caution is well-founded - I did two long interviews with the journalist, when truly wiped out, and made it clear - please do not characterise me as neurotic or suicidal. You can imagine my disappointment at opening the page and seeing a large picture of myself with the word 'suicidal' in the caption. Still, nice picture of the deer....
That's awful. In fairness to the journalist, it would have been a picture editor or subeditor who wrote that caption. If you have the journalist's contact email, they should be happy to get that corrected in the online edition. Too late for the printed version, but as it's a clear factual error they should print a correction.

As far as I'm aware, the Sunday Times tries to be responsible about factual matters, and that caption clearly states that you said lyme made you suicidal when in fact you said the opposite!

Edit: assuming you have online access to the ST, a comment below the article will often get the job done. I used to be a Times subscriber and I seem to remember the staff being quite responsive to comments below the line.

Last edited:

Dufresne

almost there...
@sianrecovery
Good job. And, incidentally, you look like you could be related to Gwenyth Paltrow. :thumbsup:

When I did an interview with a small, local paper I came off looking like a conspiracy theorist. And the reporter fudged a number of the facts. Anyone considering an interview would do well to make sure they get to approve the piece before it's published.