• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sulphur?

Ok, I can't seem to handle any sulphur foods? If I eat any, every muscle in my body aches and I feel terrible! This has something to do with methylation, doesn't it? God, it sucks having to watch every little thing I eat!!

richvank

Hi, always.

You might consider trying some molybdenum, say 500 micrograms per day. Molybdenum forms a cofactor for the enzyme sulfite oxidase. Most of the sulfur that comes in with foods has to pass through this enzyme, and if moly is low, sulfite can build up and produce symptoms. They often include headache, breathing problems and rashes. I don't know if it can cause the symptoms you described, but I think it might be worth a try.

Yes, a partial block in the methylation cycle can make this situation worse, because it increases the flow down the transsulfuration pathway and into sulfite oxidase. So you may want to look into that, too. Please see the post I just wrote to Tamara:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-want-to-understand-basics.17703/#post-269847

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Rich

richvank

Hi, always.

That's a possibility. I think it's more likely if a person has been doing a methylation-type treatment in which the folates have been increased. That stimulates synthesis of new DNA and RNA, and they make possible new cells, which require potassium. The muscles need magnesium, too. The best test for intracellular magnesium (which also measures potassium and four other intracellular elements, is the EXAtest (www.exatest.com).

Best regards,

Rich

xrayspex

Rich
what do you think of andy cutlers thoughts that its more the thiols that bother people than the sulphur per se?

http://livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/

his risky and safe food lists are interesting, explains a lot

I have suspected sulphur sensitivity for 4 years or and have heard you recommend molybdenum before and have some tincture of it , maybe need to take higher dose, Andy recs that too as you

his lists explain why i like dark chicken not white maybe
garlic and eggs are my most obvious worst culprits
i do love chocolate and havent suspected that as obvious problem, it sort of varies sometimes choc and suger keeps me going in good seeming way, othertimes not so much, but garlic and eggs are bad every time these days

also whey and probiotics are not wise, at least acidophilus he says
interesting, i intuitively stopped taking that in last 6 wks cus i thought what if somethingi assume is safe is making me feel bad that i take all the time so i cut out s boulaardi acidophilus and also incidentally primrose eve oil and think i do feel better without those things
can get into certain habits based on dubious info

i think i am going to try to follow his list (except for quittng chocolate :) and see what happens

oh and unfortunately tumeric is on unsafe list
i have been trying to take that this year but suspected not making me feel better
but there is all this research around how great it is
guess its like an allergy tho, one persons remedy is anothers poison perhaps
too bad

i was going to try zyflammend but tumeric in that

I kept trying probiotics too, and wondered why I was feeling worse. Chocolate is one of my favorite foods, but I try not to eat it very often. But we get so few pleasures with this disease I feel like I have to have something to make my taste buds happy!!!