• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sulfur-containing detoxing agents and CBS-Gene-Mutations

Hello,

can anybody help me to understand what happens with the sulfur-containing detox-remedies in the body!? I would like to know why one would easily have problems with the use of DMPS or DMSA if You have (a little) CBS-Gene- mutation.
It is said that one should be careful with DMPS or even chlorella-algae if one has CBS-gene-mutations. But DMPS or chlorella does not go into the cells! Do those CBS-genes then really matter? Doesn't DMPS go out of the body unchanged via urine?

And if sulfur comes into the cell, it goes directly into the transsulfuration-pathway, I guess (?) What determines whether the end-product finally is sulfite or sulfate or ammoniac or glutathion?

:) Pema

Hi Valentijn,
I did my test with 23andMe and have also got BHMT-Genes and NOS +/-
I took quite a lot of sulfur- containing detoxing remedies over the last two years, and would really like to understand how this toxic sulfite or ammoniac can come about as a result in the cell's transsulfuration-pathway...!!

I had reactions that felt like meningitis from small amounts of methyl-donors (B6/B9/B12) with phosphatidycholin/serin. The symptoms are getting weaker when I drop the methyl-donors, so I guess that's not from activated infection like borrelia. So I am wondering whether I have to do a poor-sulfur diet and take care with the heavy-metal detoxing with DMPS etc. in the future?

ahmo

@Prema, my CBS genes, as indicated by Yasko, indeed do have a big impact on my health. I've eliminated all high-thiols foods from my diet. I also found lowering my B complex to low-dose B comp eliminated a sulfur-related holding in connective tissue, as had happened in my initial elimination of sulfur from my diet.

I've been using chlorella for about a year. I've been amazed that this has been tolerated. It's the only sulfur-containing substance I'm using. I wasn't willing to use DMPS or EDTA.

I've been in an intensive period of coffee enemas for detox. Initially I felt v toxic following them. I found that taking histamine-reducing and sulfur/ammonia-reducing supps immediately after stopped this toxicity. As time has gone on, I've needed less of both these types of supps. I also began adding things into my final, "clear water" enema to minimize my responses. During this process of experimentation I began adding chlorella to the first water enema (#1 water, #2, 3 coffee, #4 water). This seems to be really helpful. Now, some weeks into this process, I've been testing for no chlorella in my juice, just the 1 Tb in the enema. I don't know the pathway, I just continue on according to my self-testing and symptoms. Chlorella binds metals, I believe, which is what I'm eliminating.

Here's a link I've just come across re Klinhardt's Detox protocol.cheers, ahmo

http://customers.hbci.com/~wenonah/new/9steps.htm

Last edited:
Hi ahmo, how did You know You where releasing sulfur after lowering the B-complex?
I am also doing coffee-enemas now because my liver is aching since I started the methyl-Bs.

From Klinghardt I learned a lot, also his komplex kinesiological testing. My teacher had told me, after some time the body might want to have a break with sulfer-stuff, but I had not got an explanation from her, and I would really like to understand how these things work out in detail!
(I did not continue muscle-testing and I will probably try with urine-stripes for sulfur- testing now.)

ahmo

Hi Prema. Yay, another CE fan! I was feeling terrible after the enemas. I'd switched from dark roast to light roast to Wilson's special roast, which made a huge difference. but I still felt toxic. I self-tested for supps: histamine and sulfur/ammonia. so I started adding those supps straight after the final coffee enema, before the final water one. this helped. I still needed footbaths w/ additional supps after the whole thing. I was v happy to see Klinghardt on the vid talking about his testing method, it's similar to what I do. As time has gone by, I test for less of these things, and I'm feeling better and better after each series. It's become my full time job over the last 4 months: 4 days on, 2 days off. I'm afraid I'm not so great at the scientific explanations, but self-testing has beenmy means of moving forward.

Oh, I see I missed the whole point of your question! Initially when I eliminated sulfur/hi thiols from my diet, I had relief from some of my remaining connective tissue holdings and my extremely loose shoulder joint tightened up, positively. Actually, the reason I first eliminated sulfur was because of facial eczema. 50% of it cleared within 24 hours of eliminating histamines. the remaining 50% cleared after I stopped eating high thiol. Bye bye garlic, etc. Then when I lowered from my high dose Bs to low-dose, within about 24 hours the remaining restriction from my frozen shoulder disappeared. I need to eat some breakfast now, if there's more, let me know. Sorry, I'm a bit off my schedule. :rolleyes: